In 2007, a coalition of higher education institutions developed a unique tool to help IHEs align the Standards for Ohio Educators with national standards for accreditation and approval of educator preparation programs. These alignments constitute crosswalks between the Ohio standards and standards such as Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC), Praxis II, Praxis III, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC), Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC), Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC), the value-added progress dimension and selected Specialized Professional Association (SPA) standards for teacher preparation.
Most importantly, the alignment tools provide a means for institutions to continuously improve the quality of educator preparation programs while offering candidates distinctive and enriching programs.
Suggested steps to using the crosswalks:
- Read Ohio’s teacher and principal standards.
- Review the alignments (below) identifying patterns that occur both horizontally (Ohio standards) and vertically (national standards).
- Review the unit's conceptual framework, institutional standards and proficiencies in relation to Ohio’s standards for teachers and principals.
- Choose the appropriate crosswalk (below) and download. Add three to four (or more) columns to the matrix.
- Use the first column to demonstrate where your unit's conceptual framework and institution align with your institutional standards and proficiencies.
- Use the second column to evidence unit assessments.
- Utilize the third column for any specialized program association (SPA) that demonstrates alignment.
- A fourth column may be needed for any licensure programs that have specific assessments.
Ohio Principal Standards Alignment
Ohio Standards for Principals Alignment Matrix (Excel)
Ohio Standards for Principals Alignment Matrix – Descriptive (Word)
Ohio Teacher Standards Alignment
Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession Alignment Matrix (Excel)
Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession Alignment Matrix – Descriptive (Word)
SPA Alignments (Excel documents)
SPA Alignment Matrix – American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
SPA Alignment Matrix – Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
SPA Alignment Matrix – National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
SPA Alignment Matrix – National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE)
SPA Alignment Matrix – National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
SPA Alignment Matrix – National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
SPA Alignment Matrix – National Middle School Association (NMSA)
SPA Alignment Matrix – National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
Standards Alignment: A Conceptual Webbing Approach