Initial Requirements for a Two-Year Alternative Superintendent License:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution;
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Five or more years of documented successful work experience in teaching, administration, education or management;
- Position appropriate to the license and board resolution of appointment to the position.
Alternative Superintendent License Application
Requirements during Year One and Year Two:
- Assignment of a mentor;
- Completion of the Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) self-assessment;
- Development of a personal learning plan based on the ISLLC self-assessment;
- Participation in a structured mentoring program consisting of 70 clock hours during the initial two-year license;
- Completion of minimum of 9 semester hours from an accredited university or 135 clock hours of professional development based on the personal learning plan during the initial two-year license.
Non-Educators: The employing school district shall require the administrator to develop a plan that outlines observation of classroom instruction across grade levels and subject areas within the school district.
Requirements during Year Three and Year Four:
- Continued progress towards meeting the requirements for a Professional Superintendent License.
Requirements for a Professional Superintendent License:
- Four years of successful experience under the alternative superintendent license;
- Completion of an additional 6 semester hours or 90 clock hours of professional development based on the personal learning plan during the second two-year license;
- Participation in a structured mentoring program;
- Successful completion of Praxis II exam #0411, Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision.
Requirements governed by Ohio Administrative Code: Rule 3301-24-12 Alternative Superintendent License and Alternative Administrative Specialist License
Office of Educator Licensure
1 (877) 644-6338 (toll free)