This page provides information concerning the alternative licensure requirements for teaching a designated subject area in grades 4-12 in Ohio's classrooms.
Requirements for an Alternative Resident Educator License for designated subject grades 4-12:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education;
- 30 semester (45 quarter) hours in the subject area to be taught with a 2.5 GPA or higher (integrated science, integrated language arts, and integrated social studies require 60 semester or 90 quarter hours) consisting of coursework well distributed across the subject area, showing increasing depth and complexity and with sufficient advanced coursework to constitute a major field of study; or extensive work experience directly related to the area to be taught as determined by the Ohio Credential Review Board;
- Successful completion of Praxis II subject assessment for the licensure area;
a.) Successful completion of a state approved Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute (IPTI)*
*Transcript evaluation, coursework, background checks and testing requirements must be completed prior to registering for the Intensive Pedagogical Institute (IPTI).
b.) Completion of 6 semester hours of professional education coursework, from a college or university that is approved to prepare teachers, that includes teaching methods, and may also include other professional education coursework such as the principles and practices of teaching, student development and learning, pupil assessment procedures, curriculum development and classroom management.
Evaluation Request Application for an Alternative Resident Educator License
Upon completion of all requirements, an Alternative Resident Educator License Statement of Eligibility will be issued and may be used to seek employment as a teacher in the schools of Ohio.
Alternative Resident Educator License Application
NOTE: In the second year of teaching under the alternative resident educator license, the educator must take one of the following Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching test: 0623 or 0624.
Requirements for a Professional Educator License:
- Completion of four years of successful teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license as verified by the employing superintendent;
- Successful completion of the four year Ohio Resident Educator Program;
- Successful completion of 12 semester (18 quarter) hours of professional education coursework, from a college or university approved to prepare teachers in the principles and practices of teaching, student development and learning, pupil assessment procedures, curriculum development, classroom management and teaching methodology;
- Successful completion of the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching exam 0623 or 0624.
Requirements governed by Ohio Administrative Code: Rule 3301-24-19 Alternative Resident Educator License for teaching a designated subject in grades four to twelve
Office of Educator Licensure
1 (877) 644-6338 (toll free)