Updates from the Office of Community Schools
Thank you for attending our TA and Sponsor Improvement meeting last week. We are reviewing the feedback from the session and will be providing clarifications/updates in the upcoming weeks based upon questions raised during the event. We understand that a lot of information was discussed at the training and will think about the format going forward.
This is a busy week for sponsors and community schools. As such, there will be several communications coming from our office this week.
Sponsor Evaluation Announcements
Upcoming Report Reminders
- The preliminary 2017-2018 Sponsor Evaluation results will be released on Thursday, September 20th by the end of the day. We will send out an announcement when the preliminary results are available.
- Reminder to check the following to ensure all data and assigned roles are correct in OEDS. Review should be completed and revisions made no later than October 1.
- Reminder that all operators/management companies must be identified in OEDS and contracts for services submitted to OCS no later than October 1 . This includes fiscal agents such as school districts and educational service centers if they employ the school staff. ORC 3314.02 (A)(8) defines an operator as either of the following:
- (a) An individual or organization that manages the daily operations of a community school pursuant to a contract between the operator and the school's governing authority;
- (b) A nonprofit organization that provides programmatic oversight and support to a community school under a contract with the school's governing authority and that retains the right to terminate its affiliation with the school if the school fails to meet the organization's quality standards.
- All community schools are required to own or hold the lease to all facilities operated as part of the school (ORC 3314.19(J)(1)) Please make sure that all sponsor-school contracts clearly indicate all facilities operated by the school and whether or not the school owns the property or holds the lease for the property.
There will be an announcement about Sponsor Improvement Regional trainings going out tomorrow to both sponsors and schools.
I know this is a busy time of year, but we appreciate the work you are doing on behalf of our students. Please let us know if we can be of assistance as you support our schools.
Karl J. Koenig
Office of Community Schools