Kindergarten Readiness Assessment for Administrators
Securely destroy 2017 KRA Field Test forms here
Video Recording of Webinar for Ohio School and District Administrators
[Runtime: 1 hour 11 minutes]
Designed for school administrators, district leaders, and other key local leaders that will be involved in coordinating or supporting the implementation of the KRA, this webinar provides details pertaining to the KRA and the reports available for school-based and district administrators. If you have difficulty accessing the URL, click here.
Elizabeth Sailer and Kimberly Davis, Ohio Department of Education
Linda Carling and Kristen Thompson, Johns Hopkins University School of Education Center for Technology in Education
At the beginning of each school year, children in public school kindergarten programs are assessed using Ohio’s Kindergarten Readiness Assessment. This assessment includes ways for teachers to measure a child’s readiness for engaging with kindergarten instruction while aligned to Ohio's Early Learning and Development Standards.
Public districts have the option to begin the administration of KRA selected response and performance task items up to two weeks prior to the first day of kindergarten.
The Language and Literacy portion of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment can be used to meet the reading diagnostic assessment requirement of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee. To meet the diagnostic requirement, teachers must complete the Language and Literacy portion by Nov. 1.
Assessment Data Manager Role
A data manager is the individual who has access to teacher and student demographic information. It is this person’s responsibility for adding teachers, students, and enrollment data to the Ready for Kindergarten Online system. You have to be registered in the Ready for Kindergarten online system as a data manager in order to enter or access any data.
To get access, an individual must be selected by the school or district to serve in this capacity. Each participating school or district must assign an Assessment Data Manager-Preschool and Kindergarten in the Ohio Educational Directory System (OEDS). Here are directions:
The Ohio Data Managers KRA Guide
is a living document designed to support the needs of Ohio Data Managers.
The administration window for the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment is the first day of school through Nov. 1. However, based on a budget bill that passed on June 30, 2017 public districts have the option to begin administration up to two weeks prior to the first day of kindergarten. Schools may administer the selected response and performance task items portion of the assessment up to two weeks prior to the first day of the school year.
The Language and Literacy portion of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment can be used to meet the reading diagnostic assessment requirement of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee.
To meet the diagnostic requirement, teachers must complete the Language and Literacy portion by Nov. 1. Teachers can conduct the other portions of the assessment any time during the assessment period.
Results are available in the KReady system to users with teacher, data manager, and administrator accounts.
- KRA raw data is immediately available to teachers as they administer the items, and we recommend teachers use that as baseline data to inform kindergarten instruction based on the needs of the students.
- The Language and Literacy Scale Score reports are available to data managers and administrators before Nov. 1. This was a new feature during the 2016 administration and will continue through future administration windows.
- Scale Score reports are available to data managers and administrators after the window closes. The system takes about a week to generate all of the scores and go through testing before making the reports available to school districts. The scale score report will not be available during the administration window.
- In previous years, the Individual Student Reports (ISRs) were available at the same time as the Scale Score Reports. This year the ISRs will be available on demand to teachers for students who have 100% item completion. Teachers will be able to generate the ISRs when all data for KRA is collected and put into the KReady system. After Nov. 1, the system will generate any ISRs that were not generated on-demand by the teacher. This process is still being developed in the KReady system and the specifics will be communicated later this summer. The Sample Individual Student Report provides a layout of what information is included on the reports.
November 1st is the deadline for teachers to administer the KRA and enter data in the KReady online system. After the administration window closes on November 1 at 11:59 p.m., data managers will have until November 4th at 11:59 p.m. to clean up transfer requests.
Teacher Training - Only kindergarten teachers who have not yet been trained need to successfully complete the training on the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment administration, score reporting, and use of the assessment data. The KRA trainings are scheduled and delivered by State Support Team KRA trainers and a small number of local district trainers. Training is in STARS and will be added throughout the summer to prepare teachers for the 2017 KRA administration. Teachers will need to register in STARS to secure a spot for training. Search using the Keyword term KRA.
In addition, any staff member who has completed the Train-the-Trainer program and also completed the refresher course offered on July 28, 2016 is able to deliver the teacher training to their staff.
Data manager training - Data Managers supporting the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (KRA) are invited to participate in online webinars for the Ready for Kindergarten (KReady) online system hosted by Johns Hopkins University and the Management Council.
KReady System Support:
For help with the KRA, you can go to http://ohio-k12.help/kready to submit a help desk ticket or call 844-K12-OHIO (844-512-6446) to get help setting up a help desk ticket.
- The Ohio Data Managers KRA Guide is a living document designed to support the needs of Ohio Data Managers.
- The Ohio Trainers KRA Guide is a living document designed to support the needs of Ohio KRA Trainers.
Last Modified: 4/2/2018 7:09:32 AM