Family and Community Support Toolbox
The purpose of the Family and Community Toolbox is to provide resources in order to build upon the natural learning opportunities that occur within a child’s daily routine in the home and community. The resources contained in this toolbox provide encouragement to families and caregivers in supporting the early language and literacy development of children in their care. Materials contained in Family and Community Support Toolbox are drawn from both internal and external sources and will evolve over time. Materials and resources posted are for informational use only.
Learn about Reading
Back to Tools
- REACH Interactive Lessons: REACH is a self-paced interactive reading program to engage parents and children as at-home reading partners. Designed by classroom reading specialists and aligned with Kindergarten and first grade standards, these 32 interactive lessons are enjoyable for all ages.
- PBS Parents
Resources from INFOhio
Back to Tools
- INFOhio: A digital library that offers a variety of content and services—most at no charge—to Ohio's 1.9 million PreK-12 students, their parents, and their teachers.
- Early Literacy Bags - Beach Bags, Blizzard Bags and Back to School Bags are online sets of printable books that give parents an easy way to keep their children's reading skills sharp year round. Early Literacy Bags are offered free to all Ohio families by INFOhio and the Ohio Department of Education.
- BookFLIX pairs classic video storybooks with related nonfiction e-books. This engaging combination of read-aloud stories and read-along nonfiction builds phonemic awareness; develops phonics decoding skills; and strengthens vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension, all while introducing children to a world of knowledge and exploration. Many of the nonfiction titles cover STEM and social studies standards. Lexile scores are included.
- Parent Reading Tips Flyer - This flyer gives parents 10 ideas for helping their young children learn to love reading.
- The Early World of Learning offers students in grades K-3 narrated stories, interactive reading games, leveled reading practice, and an online encyclopedia. Early World of Learning's 'Welcome to Reading' section offers new readers stories, games, and activities to help them increase their skills. Two other areas on the site--Trek's Travels and Know It--help children develop vocabulary and comprehension.
World Book Kids is an encyclopedia for children 5-8. It lets kids explore the world through beautiful photographs, video, and articles written for beginning readers. In addition, World Book Kids includes fun online activities and even science experiments for parents and children to conduct together.
Early Childhood Resources
Back to Tools
Last Modified: 12/22/2016 12:41:21 PM