Diverse Learners in Social StudiesDiverse learners
often are students who fall into one or more of these three categories:
- English learners are students who represent a variety of home/native languages, cultural backgrounds and levels of English proficiency. Click here to view general information and resources for diverse learners.
- Challenges for English Learners in the Social Studies Classroom may include:
- Lack familiarity with historical terms, government processes, and vocabulary used in the study of U.S. history and social studies
- Social studies text contains complex sentences, passive voice, and extensive use of pronouns.
- Concepts that do not exist in all cultures are difficult. Examples may include the concepts of privacy, democratic processes, rights of citizens, and free will.
- Use in U.S. schools of “timeline” teaching vs. learning history by “dynasty” or “period.”
- The amount of text that is covered during a single lesson may be overwhelming.
- Teaching English Learners from the Ohio Department of Education
- See tips and resources for English learners in English language arts.
- Students with disabilities in Ohio are identified as possessing one of 13 disabilities as defined by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Click here for related information and general resources.
- Gifted students are those who perform, or show the potential to perform, at high levels of accomplishment in the areas of academic achievement, cognitive abilities, creative thinking and/or the visual or performing arts as compared to others of their age, experience or environment. Click here for related information and general resources for gifted students.
- Challenges for Gifted Students may include:
- Already knowing the content that is to be covered in class. Boredom in the classroom may appear as either tuning out or acting out.
- Many gifted students self-impose a goal of perfection.
- Socially, gifted students may be ahead or behind of their peers.
- Lack of organization skills due to abstract thinking skills.
- Teaching Gifted Students from the Ohio Department of Education
- See tips and resources for gifted students in English language arts.
Extended Standards for Social Studies
Last Modified: 11/5/2019 11:47:25 AM