Biology investigates the composition, diversity, complexity and interconnectedness of life on Earth. Fundamental concepts of heredity and evolution provide a framework through inquiry-based instruction to explore the living world, the physical environment and the interactions within and between them.
Ohio's Learning Standards FOR BIOLOGY and Model Curriculum
The Biology Learning Standards and Model Curriculum describe what students should understand and be able to do. Standards do not dictate curriculum or teaching methods. The model curriculum provides clarity to the standards, the foundation for aligned assessments, and guidelines to assist educators in implementing the standards. The model curriculum also provides instructional strategies and resources.
- The Student Practice Site provides released Biology test items in the electronic format. Students may log in as a guest to access any of the practice tests. Practice test items allow students to become familiar with the online test environment by showcasing the different item types, features, and functionality available to students during online testing.
- A Biology Practice Test Scoring Guide provides answer keys and scoring guides for this test. Teachers can review released test items to determine the level of scientific reasoning needed for success. This analysis can help teachers examine their local curriculum to see if their instruction is providing students enough opportunities to take their scientific understanding to a deeper leve
- Paper versions of the Biology practice test are also provided:
- They also include answer documents for students to record responses:
These documents provide the answer keys and scoring guides for the spring 2016 administration of the Biology End-of-Course Assessment Test. Teachers can review released test items to determine the level of scientific reasoning needed for success. This analysis can help teachers examine their local curriculum to see if their instruction is providing students enough opportunities to take their scientific understanding to a deeper level.
Biology Item Release Scoring Guide
The test blueprint for Biology is embedded in the Biology Test Specifications for the exam. It identifies the range and distribution of items and points, grouped into various categories. The specifications also provide specific guidelines for the development of all items used for the Biology test. This document is intended to be a resource not only for item writers and test designers, but for Ohio educators and other stakeholders who are interested in a deeper understanding of the test. The Biology blueprint organizes the content statements into the four major topics with a reporting category point range for each.
PERFORMANCE LEVEL DESCRIPTORS
The Performance Level Descriptors (PLDs) are the link between Ohio’s Learning Standards and performance standards. They were developed by Ohio educators and other content experts to illustrate the typical demonstration of the learning for each of the five performance levels: Limited, Basic, Proficient, Accelerated and Advanced. Teachers can review the PLDs for each course to match each descriptive statement with its course standards. Teachers can then review local curriculum materials to see if opportunities are being given to students to demonstrate deeper conceptual understanding of course content at the different performance levels.
- Science Quality Review Rubric - The Science Quality Review Rubric is an instructional tool designed to evaluate lessons that include instructional activities and assessments aligned to Ohio’s Learning Standards for K-12 Science; and units that include integrated and focused lessons aligned to the science standards that extend over a longer period of time. The rubric contains four dimensions that can be used in the review process. These four videos provide guidance on using the dimensions of the Science Quality Review Rubric.
- Next Generation Science Standards - Ohio is preparing students for a local, national and global stage. Resources from other states, such as the Next Generation Science Standards, are helpful to explore content in a variety of ways.
- Other instructional resources are located in the Biology Learning Standard’s Model Curriculum (Visions into Practice and Instructional Strategies and Resources), pages 288-296.
Last Modified: 3/19/2019 5:05:33 PM