District Gifted Education Policy
Districts are required to have a local policy for gifted education and to distribute this policy to parents. The policy is submitted to the department in SAFE with the district's gifted identification plan. District gifted education policies must include the following components:
- The criteria and methods the district uses to screen students and to select students for further assessment who perform or show potential for performing at remarkably high levels of accomplishment in each of the gifted areas specified in this rule;
- The sources of assessment data the district uses to select students for further testing and an explanation for parents of the multiple assessment instruments required to identify students who are gifted under section 3324.03 of the Revised Code;
- An explanation for parents of the method the district uses to ensure equal access to screening and further assessment by all district students, including minority or disadvantaged students, students with disabilities, and English learners;
- Provisions to ensure equal opportunity for all district students identified as gifted to receive services offered by the district;
- Provisions for students to withdraw from gifted programs and services, for reassessment of students, and for assessment of students transferring into the district;
- A detailed list of the services likely to be provided to a student, based on the nature of a student’s identification, and of all gifted services that are currently available within the school district including the criteria for receiving those services (3301-51-15 (D)(7)); and
- Methods for resolving disagreements between parents and the district concerning identification and placement decisions.
District Gifted Education Policy User Guide for SAFE
District Gifted Education Policy directions for SAFE
This user guide provides a brief summary of the key steps for submitting the district gifted education policy in SAFE.
District Gifted Education Policy Planning Guide This document is for planning purposes only and may be used as a tool to guide districts when developing or revising the district's gifted education policy to ensure all required policy components are included. Please do not submit this planning guide to the department.
Last Modified: 11/29/2017 10:15:56 AM