Gifted Advisory Council
The Operating Standards for Identifying and Serving Students Who are Gifted
(Ohio Administrative Code 3301-51-15) established the formation of a Gifted Advisory Council representing a variety of stakeholders from diverse regions of the state, including parents, general and gifted educators, administrators, and other as determined by the superintendent of public instruction. The role of the Gifted Advisory Council includes:
- Assisting in the development and updating of a Department-approved plan for gifted education in Ohio;
- Advising on policy recommendations;
- Serving as advisors in establishing criteria for review of proposals to implement innovative gifted services; and
- Establishing criteria for identifying and recognizing schools, districts and other educational providers.
Gifted Advisory Council Membership
The Gifted Advisory Council explores the development and implementation of state policies that affect identification, instruction, professional supports, leadership and funding for gifted education.
The Department is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for membership to the Gifted Advisory Council. Members will represent a variety of stakeholders from diverse regions of the state, including parents, general and gifted educators, administrators, and others as determined by the superintendent of public instruction.
Membership on the Gifted Advisory Council is a two-year term; however, there are no term limits and current members can reapply. The Gifted Advisory Council meets a minimum of three times per year. Meetings typically are held at the Ohio Department of Education and may be held in other locations around central Ohio. Members should plan for release time from job responsibilities for each meeting. Committee members serve without compensation; however, travel, meals, overnight accommodations and substitute expenses are reimbursed at state rates.
The timeline for application submissions is as follows:
Upon submission of an application, the applicant should expect the following:
- The Department is not currently accepting membership applications for the Gifted Advisory Council.
If you have questions regarding the Gifted Advisory Council, membership, or review and submission of membership applications, please email Elizabeth.Arledge@education.ohio.gov.
- Confirmation acknowledging the submission of the application;
- Review of all information submitted by the applicant by Department staff;
- Notification in writing of appointment for applicants selected for membership; and
- If selected, an invitation to the next council meeting.
Gifted Advisory Council Meetings FY20
October 23, 2019 Meeting
december 11, 2019 Meeting
february 12, 2020 meeting
april 29, 2020 meeting
Gifted Advisory Council Meetings FY19
October 3, 2018 Meeting
November 28, 2018 Meeting
February 6, 2019 Meeting
April 24, 2019 Meeting
Gifted Advisory Council Meetings FY18
October 26, 2017 Meeting
December 5, 2017 Meeting
March 6, 2018 Meeting
May 8, 2018 Meeting
Last Modified: 6/23/2020 1:08:21 PM