Anti-Bullying: Resources for Parents
Parents can take many important steps to help prevent and address bullying, intimidation or harassment among students at their children’s schools.
Learn what everyone should do to prevent and address bullying
See this information about the obligation of each Ohio school district to have a policy prohibiting harassment, intimidation or bullying. Parents can ask their district or local school board about its local policy.
On this same webpage, also find: a) tools districts can use to ensure their policy is effective; and b) Guidance for Implementing an Anti-Bullying Policy that outlines specific steps that staff, teachers and students each should take if bullying occurs.
Steps to take if bullying affects your child
TALK TO YOUR SCHOOL ABOUT A STUDENT ACTION PLAN
Following a bullying incident, districts and parents may use the Guidance for Student Action Planning
to develop and continually improve plans for keeping the student safe from future bullying incidents.
LEARN ABOUT BULLYING AND TALK TO YOUR CHILD
- Children who are bullied often blame themselves and are reluctant to discuss these harmful situations. Parents will find tips about talking with their children and their schools below:
- StopBullying.gov gives one-stop access to U.S. Government information on bullying topics:
- Red Tree House – This site allows families and professionals to explore and share information, knowledge and resources; make community connections; and build support networks to help and encourage children and young adults, prenatal through age 25.
- Ohio Attorney General -– Cyber Safety – Find resources here to help support and guide children on the safe and wise use of the Internet, online video games and cell phones.
- NetFamilyNews – This web-based newsletter is for anyone everyone interested in safety for young people as they use technology
- i-SAFE – combines the power of technology, traditional curriculum and the influence of social media to educate and empower students through cutting-edge e-Safety education platforms.
Last Modified: 6/18/2018 9:12:51 AM