STEM and STEAM School Designation
FY2021 STEM and STEAM SChool designation
The Ohio STEM Committee, Ohio STEM Learning Network and the Ohio Department of Education are committed to ensuring each child in Ohio is challenged, prepared and empowered. STE(A)M education provides an opportunity for each child to discover and learn, pursue a fulfilling post-high school path and to become a resilent, lifelong learner who contributes to society.
STE(A)M education is an integrated approach to learning where rigorous academic concepts are learned through real-world, project-based experiences. Students use science, technology, engineering, arts/humanities and mathematics concepts to make authentic connections between school, community and work experiences. The Ohio STE(A)M School Designation was created to award and recognize schools that are exemplars of this work.
STE(A)M-designated schools employ highly effective teachers and leaders who meet the needs of the whole child. In addition, these schools have well-established partnerships with businesses, non-profit organizations, institutes of higher education and other entities in their communities to prepare students for post-high school success.
The STEM Designation application is aligned with Each Child, Our Future – Ohio’s strategic plan for education, Ohio’s Quality Model for STEM and STEAM Schools and section 3326.03 of Ohio law.
FY2021 STE(A)M Designation Application
FY2021 STE(A)M Designation Rubric
STE(A)M Designation Application Timeline
Beginning of October - December 13, 2019:
Attend a technical assistance/designation informational session (Optional, but recommended)
- Review application materials (Quality Model for STEM and STEAM Schools and Ohio STEM Designation Rubric) Self Reflection to determine qualification for STE(A)M Designation.
- Submit a Letter of Intent to the Ohio Department of Education by 5 pm on December 13th. Email to Kimberly.firstname.lastname@example.org.
December 20, 2019:
- October 10, 2019: Bigelow Hill Elementary School, Findlay 9:30-2:30 (Completed)
- October 16, 2019: Bio-Med Science Academy Rootstown 9:30-2:30 (Completed)
- October 24, 2019: Chillicothe Primary School, Chillicothe 9:30-2:30 (Completed)
- November 14, 2019: Dayton Regional STEM School, Dayton 9:30-2:30 (Completed)
- NEW- November 18th, 2019: Ranger High Tech Academy, North Ridgeville (Completed)
- Webinar: December 5, 2019, 4:30-5:30 You can access a recording of Webinar located here.
Notify the Ohio STEM Learning Network if seeking technical assistance. (Technical assistance is optional but recommended). Email to email@example.com
January 3, 2020:
Submit rough draft of application/portfolio to the Ohio STEM Learning Network for technical assistance. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. You will receive feedback on your draft application in time to make changes prior to final submission to ODE.
January 31, 2020
: Final applications due to the Ohio Department of Education by 5 p.m. on Friday, January 31. Email to email@example.com
February and March 2020:
After a preliminary review from the Ohio STEM Learning Network, site visits to selected schools will be conducted during February and March. A school may also request a site visit when submitting their application.
Beginning of April 2020:
Applicants will be notified of the Ohio STEM Learning Network’s recommendation.
End of April 2020:
The Ohio STEM committee will vote on designated schools.
Designation Celebration and Presentation of Banners
Current STE(A)M Designated schools
Last Modified: 12/20/2019 2:05:08 PM