Ohio Teacher of the Year
The Ohio Department of Education initiated the Ohio Teacher of the Year program in 1969 to honor, promote and celebrate excellence in teaching and the teaching profession. Award recipients serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in education. Superintendents and principals are encouraged each year to nominate an exemplary teacher in the spring for selection the following fall. Awardees are part of a network of exemplary teachers who are engaged in school improvement initiatives.
2017 Teacher of the Year
Paolo DeMaria, state superintendent of public instruction, announced that Dustin Weaver of Chillicothe High School (State Board District 10) is 2017 Ohio Teacher of the Year. Learn more about Dustin here.
State Board District Teachers of the Year 2017
Nine educators hold the title Teacher of the Year for their State Board District of Ohio. Local selection committees selected these individuals to represent their areas in the Ohio Teacher of the Year competition. Learn more here.
Previous Ohio Teachers of the Year
- Teresa Cianchetti, 2016, Suffield Elementary
- Lori Michalec 2015, Tallmadge High School
- Debra McDonald, 2014, Wayne County Schools Career Center
- Carole Morbitzer, 2013, Hamilton Local Schools
- Tim Dove, 2011 & 2012, Worthington City Schools
- Natalie Wester, 2010, Cleveland Heights-University Heights Schools
- Jennifer Walker, 2009, Youngstown City Schools
- Deborah Wickerham, 2008, Findlay City Schools
- George Edge, 2007, South-Western City Schools
- Eric Combs, 2006, Fairborn City Schools
- Deepa Ganschinietz, 2005, Columbus City Schools
- Kathy Rank, 2004, Piqua City Schools
- Doreen Uhas-Sauer, 2003, Columbus City
- History of Ohio Teacher of the Year, 1964 to Present
The 2017 Ohio Teacher of the Year application deadline was July 15, 2016.
Last Modified: 9/22/2016 10:29:01 AM