Substitute License

The Ohio Department of Education issues one-year or five-year substitute teaching licenses to applicants who meet qualifications and who have been hired to serve in schools or school districts. 

Preliminary Steps for First-time or Renewal of Licenses

  • Contact a school, district or educational service center. Please DO NOT apply for this license (new or renewal) through the department's online system until you have completed the two steps below; otherwise, your application will be declined. Steps are:
    • Complete the employment process at the Ohio school, district or educational service center for which you are interested in serving as a substitute teacher.
    • Notify the employing organization that you will be selecting it as you apply online; the organization's e-signer will need to electronically sign your license application. 
  • Learn more before applying. Whether you are applying for a first-time license or a renewal, please review the About section below.
  • Do you have a current background check? All licensed educators must have current background checks for their licenses to be issued. For more information, click here
  • Review the Complete list of License Types and Teaching Field Codes for Substitute Licenses here.
  • Do you need a transcript sent? If you are applying for a NEW long-term or short-term substitute license, you will need to have an official transcript (no photocopies). Please be prepared to scan and upload an official transcript during step 3 of the online application. Note: we cannot accept grade reports in lieu of official transcripts.  

    All uploaded transcripts should be legible and complete (with all pages of the transcript, front and back, and with the registrar's signature as well as the date the degree was conferred). See the online instructions below for more details about uploading transcripts. 

    Note: A teacher who has an expired educator license but wishes to teach in the same area of the previous license will not need to provide transcript(s). 

Instructions for the Online Application in CORE

About Substitute License Types 

Short-term substitute license

This license may be issued to the holder of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. An individual holding a short-term substitute license may teach in a given classroom for no more than five days. For periods longer than five days, an individual with a long-term substitute license must be employed.

Long-term substitute license

A long-term substitute license may be issued to the holder of a baccalaureate degree who has evidence of appropriate coursework as follows:

  • Early Childhood (preK to Grade 3) – 12 semester hours in professional early childhood education.
  • Middle Childhood (Grades 4-9) – 20 semester hours in EACH subject requested.
  • Adolescence to Young Adult (Grades 7-12) – 20 semester hours in EACH subject requested.
  • Multi-Age (preK to Grade 12) – 20 semester hours in EACH subject requested. 
  • Licenses in integrated content areas – applicant must show evidence of an appropriate distribution of coursework. Example: for a license in integrated science, applicant must have coursework in life science, earth science, physics and chemistry. 
  • Intervention Specialist (either preK to Grade 12 or K-12, depending upon specific area) – 12 semester hours in special education. This license may be issued only as a one-year license, new or renewal. When renewing this substitute license, the applicant must have an additional six semester hours in a program leading to intervention specialist licensure.
  • Pupil Services Interpreter for the Hearing Impaired – the district e-signer must verify with his or her electronic signature in the online license system that the applicant has the necessary skills to serve in the capacity of educational interpreter.
  • Career-Tech Workforce Development – applicants for an initial license must submit a completed CTE-37 form posted here. (Upload this during the online application process).

Note: License areas are outlined in Ohio Revised Code 3301-23-44 (D) (2) (a) through (e)


FAQs about License Requests

Last Modified: 8/19/2015 1:10:03 PM