Out of State Licensure

Information for Applicants who have completed an Out of State Licensure Program

This Information will assist you in providing the documents necessary to complete the application process for an Ohio license. 

To apply online: 

Set up a SAFE account. https://safe.ode.state.oh.us/portal

If you need assistance with SAFE, be sure to check the Help manual. Also, information on alternate forms of ID (other than an Ohio driver's license) are explained here.

Through your SAFE account, choose ODE CORE, then CORE licensure system, then MY APPLICATIONS in order to create an online application:

The following documents may be uploaded by the applicant during the online application process:

  • Copy of Out of State Teaching License (front and back), or
  • Letter of Eligibility: If you do not hold a teaching license in the state in which you completed a teacher education program, a letter, on university letterhead, signed by the dean or head of teacher education, stating the license type you are eligible for in that state and the subject area(s) this license allows you to teach. For Intervention specialist licenses, the letter must state the disability areas included in the scope of the license
  • Verification of out of state licensure exams completed (see requirements for testing below)
  • Verification of Experience (see requirements for experience below)
  • Official Transcripts
    • Please scan and upload your official transcript. Transcripts from institutions at which you received a degree should clearly indicate the date your degree was conferred.  All uploaded transcripts should be legible, complete (all pages of the transcripts should be included, front and back) and include the registrar's signature. When scanning a multi-page transcript, please create one document file that includes all pages of the transcript.  If you are uploading more than one transcript, each transcript should be a separate document.  Note: We cannot accept grade reports.
  • College coursework completed outside the United States requires a course by course analysis from an approved international credential evaluation service. List of approved organizations

Verification of Experience

Please provide verification of the necessary experience for the Ohio license(s) you are requesting by submitting an original letter, on district letterhead, signed by the superintendent of schools or the human resource director verifying dates of full-time employment, assignments and grade levels.

Are you applying for an initial Ohio teaching license?

  • Apply for a four year resident educator license if you have less than three years of out of state teaching experience (experience verification not required)
  • Apply for a five year professional teaching license if you have three or more years of out of state teaching experience (experience verification required)

  Are you applying for an initial Ohio administrator license?

  • A professional principal license requires a minimum of two years of teaching experience under a standard teaching license (experience verification required)
  • A professional administrative specialist license requires two years of teaching experience under a standard teaching license, with the exception of the pupil services administration license, which requires two years of experience under a professional pupil services license (experience verification required)
  • A professional superintendent license requires three years of administrative experience (experience verification required)

Are you applying for an initial Ohio pupil services license?

  • Experience verification is not required for these types of licenses; however, it is necessary to hold the corresponding Ohio Board license for the following pupil services areas:  school audiologist, school speech-language pathologist, school social worker, school nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist

Licensure Assessment Requirements

Applicants who meet any of the following criteria are required to successfully complete applicable portions of required exams.

  • Began college coursework AFTER July 1, 1987 OR
  • Began coursework requirements PRIOR to July 1, 1987, but did not complete licensure requirements until AFTER July 1, 1991, OR
  • Are adding an area to an existing license or seeking a new license (program completed after July 1, 1991)

If you have not completed both a content area assessment and professional knowledge/pedagogy assessment for licensure in your state, please refer to the following information for additional testing requirements:


Background Checks

BCI and FBI background checks are required for initial licensure. Information is available  at http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Licensure/Additional-Information/Background-Check-FAQs

If you reside outside of Ohio, please call the office of Educator Licensure at the Ohio Department of Education to request fingerprint cards.

Last Modified: 10/16/2015 3:07:46 PM