About the Educator Standards Board
The Educator Standards Board collaboratively promotes educator quality, professionalism, and public accountability on behalf of the students and citizens of Ohio.
Student learning driven by quality educator development.
The State Board is required to appoint ten teachers from public schools, one teacher from a chartered nonpublic school, five school administrators, one school board member, one parent representative and three representatives from higher education to the new board.
The nominations for the Educator Standards Board came from teachers’ Unions, Higher Education, and educational associations that represent teachers, administrators, parents and school board members. Membership on this board is voluntary.
Carolyn Everidge-Frey, serves as Director.
The Educator Standards Board has developed state standards for teachers and principals at all stages of their careers, Superintendents and School Treasurers and Business Managers; formulated standards for educator professional development; created a career lattice; defined Master Teacher; created the Licensure Code of Professional Conduct for Ohio Educators (LCPCDE), and will be monitoring implementation of the created standards, and recommending policies to close achievement gaps among groups of students.
The Governor’s Commission on Teaching Success recommended that to reach a higher level of performance, we need to set standards for teachers and principals.
The Educator Standards Board has fulfilled this goal by developing educator standards and professional development standards.
Recently HB1 added new responsibilities to the Educator Standards Board.
There will be a direct link between the academic content standards for students and the standards for educators.
The educator standards also take into account cultural competency, mental health issues, closing achievement gaps, as well as the education of gifted students.
The State Board has adopted the standards and elements for teachers, principals, Superintendents and School Treasurers and Business Managers developed by the ESB and its writing teams.
As these standards are implemented, they will inform daily practice, become the driver for education programs and ongoing professional development, as well as informing local district evaluation and assessment of educators.
Professional Development Standards
The Educator Standards Board was also charged with developing standards for the professional development of teachers and principals. These standards have also been adopted by the State Board, and will define and guide high quality professional development for educators.
- 2017-2018 Schedule
- Agenda (September 7-8, 2017)
- Agenda (June 22-23, 2017)
- Agenda (June 6, 2017)
- Agenda Minutes (May 4-5, 2017)
- Agenda Minutes (March 9-10, 2017)
- Agenda Minutes (January 26-27, 2017)
- Agenda Minutes (January 11-12, 2017)
- Agenda Minutes (December 8-9, 2016)
- Agenda Minutes (October 27-28, 2016)
- CANCELED (September 22-23, 2016)
- Agenda Minutes (June 16-17, 2016)
- Agenda Minutes (May 2-3, 2016)
- Agenda Minutes (March 7-8, 2016)
- Agenda Minutes (January 21-22, 2016)
How to Address the Educator Standards Board
Interested parties wishing to address the Educator Standards Board (ESB) may do so in one of two ways.
- Those who wish to secure a place on the agenda must submit the completed Request to Address the Educator Standards Board form Included with the submission must be a copy of any materials to be distributed to the ESB. The form and materials must be received by the Director at least one week prior to the date of the ESB meeting in order to secure a place on the agenda.
- On the day of the ESB meeting, interested parties may address the ESB during Public Comment by placing their name(s) on the Public Comment sign-up sheet located at the entrance to the ESB meeting. Speaking order will be determined by order of sign-up with no more than two minutes per speaker allotted and no more than thirty minutes total. It is not guaranteed that every person signing up will be assured of speaking.
Last Modified: 9/1/2017 9:27:08 AM