Adult Education Permit
The Department issues one-year and four-year adult education permits to applicants who meet qualifications and have been hired to serve in Ohio schools or districts (in accordance with rule 3301-24-05 of Ohio Administrative Code). The employing school or district must initiate and sign all applications for adult education permits.
Aspire Programs (Formerly ABLE Programs)
Individuals who do not have valid Ohio teaching certificates or licenses and are hired by a school or district to teach adults in the Aspire program (formerly known as the Adult Basic Literacy Education or ABLE program) must have active adult education permits. Aspire teachers who already possess valid Ohio teaching certificates or licenses do not need to obtain one-year adult education teaching permits. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university.
An individual without a bachelor’s degree may continue to obtain an adult education teaching permit for Aspire only if he or she held a permit during fiscal year 2003 and continued to apply for permit renewal uninterrupted in subsequent years.
Teaching Field Codes - for Aspire
If you are applying for an adult education permit to teach in the Aspire program, you will choose from the teaching fields below in the online application:
- General Science (130100)
- Mathematics (110000)
- Social Studies (150002)
- Speech/Communication (050504)
Adult Workforce Education Programs
Individuals who do not have valid Ohio teaching certificates or licenses and are hired by a school or district to teach adults in adult workforce education programs must have active adult education permits.
Teaching Field Codes - for Adult Workforce Education programs
If you are applying for an adult education teaching permit for an adult workforce education program, you will choose from the teaching field code(s) below in your online application:
- Agriculture (010000)
- Emergency Medical Technician (070907)
- Family & Consumer Science (090000)
- Firefighter Training (172801)
- Health Occupations (070000)
- Industrial & Engineering Technologies (170000)
- Marketing Education (040000)
- Office Operation (140000)
- Personal Living (091064)
additional requirements for emts & firefighters
EMT/Firefighter certification – You must provide verification of your active Ohio EMS certification(s) and instructor card(s).
- An active Ohio EMS certification for EMT, AEMT or Paramedic, AND
- An active Ohio EMS Instructor card (CE Instructor and Assistant EMS Instructor are not eligible).
Firefighter Training requires:
- An active Ohio EMS certification for Firefighter I or II, AND
- An active Ohio EMS Fire Instructor card (Assistant Firefighter Instructor and Fire Safety Instructor are not eligible). The Live Fire Instructor card is eligible only if the candidate also holds an active Ohio EMS Fire Instructor card.
Preliminary Steps - First-time and Renewal of Permits
Contact a school or district.
Please DO NOT
apply for this permit (new or renewal) through the Department’s online system until you have completed the two steps below; otherwise, your application may be declined. The steps are:
- Complete the employment process at the Ohio school or district where you are interested in serving as an adult education instructor.
- Notify the school or district that you will be selecting them to electronically sign your application.
Background checks. You must have current background checks on file with the Department. Please see our Background Check FAQs for more information.
Transcripts. If you are applying for a NEW adult education permit to teach in the Aspire program, you will need to submit your official transcript (no photocopies) reflecting your degree conferred (minimum of a bachelor's degree is required). Please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format to your OH|ID account. Please note that we cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements. You may also click here for a video tutorial on scanning and uploading transcripts:
- Confer date of bachelor's degree must be visible.
- Include all pages of transcript (front and back).
- Registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
- Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
- Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
- Electronic transcripts may only be sent directly from the issuing college/university to email@example.com.
- Do not submit transcripts that will expire or are password protected or locked.
- Please note that you may view previously submitted documents in your OH|ID account under the My Documents section of your CORE Dashboard. If your official transcripts were submitted per system directions, you will not need to resubmit them.
- If you would prefer to mail your original, official transcripts, please use the following address:
Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street
Mail Stop 504
Columbus, OH 43215
- Did you complete your degree outside the United States? If you completed college coursework outside the United States, please submit a course-by-course analysis from an approved international credential evaluation service. List of approved organizations
- Please view our transcript video tutorial and tips & tricks here.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 1/17/2020 10:33:03 AM