Temporary Military License
Beginning May 15, 2020, the Ohio Department of Education will issue temporary licenses to educators who are currently active duty service members in Ohio or spouses of active duty service members in Ohio and hold a valid (active) out-of-state license in the requested subject area, in accordance with section 4743.041 of the Ohio Revised Code. Candidates must be in good standing in the issuing state or jurisdiction of licensure or certification and may teach only the grade levels and subject area(s) listed on the Ohio temporary license.
Documents to Submit with Your Application
Candidates must submit an online application and all required documentation in order to be evaluated for the temporary license. Please upload the following documents through your OH|ID account with your online application:
- Out-of-state license – Provide a copy (front and back) of your valid (active) out-of-state license(s); and
- Verification of active duty status – Provide one of the following:
- If you are an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard in Ohio, please upload a copy of the front of your current military ID card and a copy of current orders reflecting active duty status.
- If you are a spouse of an active duty member in Ohio, please upload a copy of the front and back of your U.S. Department of Defense Form 1173 reflecting sponsor service/status of active duty (AD).
You must submit BCI and FBI background checks for initial licensure. Please see our Background Check FAQs for information.
If you live outside of Ohio, please email the Office of Educator Licensure at the Ohio Department of Education to request fingerprint cards.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard. Choose Other under the Educator Preparation section of the application and type Active Duty Military in the box provided.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 5/7/2020 11:55:46 AM