2-Year Provisional STEM License
The Ohio Department of Education issues two-year provisional science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) licenses to applicants who meet qualifications and have been hired by a designated STEM school (in accordance with section 3319.28 of the Ohio Revised Code). Two-year provisional STEM licenses are issued for Computer Information Science, Integrated Mathematics, Integrated Science and Technology Education. Click here to access the list of Ohio schools with STEM designation.
The Department will issue your initial two-year provisional STEM license, at the request of an employing designated Ohio STEM school, with evidence of the following:
- Degree - You are required to have a bachelor’s degree in a field related to the subject area you will teach from an accredited college or university;
- Exam - You must pass the content area exam for the requested subject area; and
- Current background checks - Please see our Background Check FAQs for information regarding background check requirements.
Your employing Ohio STEM school must electronically approve your application. Be sure to indicate in the application which Ohio school your application is to go to for electronic approval.
DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT WITH THE INITIAL TWO-YEAR PROVISIONAL STEM LICENSE APPLICATION
Please submit the following with your online application for the initial two-year provisional STEM license:
- Official transcripts - Scan your original, official transcript and save it in PDF format before uploading it to your OH|ID account. We cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Please see the following requirements before uploading your transcripts:
- Your transcripts must include the date your degree was awarded.
- Include all pages of the transcript (front and back).
- The registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
- Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
- Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
- Electronic transcripts may only be sent directly from the issuing college/university to email@example.com.
- Please do not submit transcripts that will expire or are password protected or locked.
- If you completed college coursework outside the United States, you must submit a course-by-course analysis from a Department approved international credential evaluation service. Please click here for the list of approved organizations.
- Exam(s) score report - Pearson Education is the exam provider for Ohio educator licensure. Please see the Pearson website for exam information and registration. You must have your official score report sent directly from Pearson to the Department.
You may renew your two-year provisional STEM license one time to complete requirements to advance your license. You are not required to submit any documents with your online application. Your employing Ohio STEM school must electronically approve your renewal application. Be sure to indicate in the application which Ohio school your application is to go to for electronic approval.
Requirements to Advance
You may advance your two-year provisional STEM license to the professional educator license upon completion of all requirements, including:
- Two years of teaching under the provisional STEM license in a designated Ohio STEM school; and
- A structured apprenticeship program through an educational service center (ESC) or Chancellor approved teacher preparation program in partnership with the employing Ohio STEM school.
- Submit your completed Advance form with your online application for the professional educator license if you complete a structured apprenticeship program through an ESC.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 7/23/2020 4:29:08 PM