Coaching or pupil activity permits are required for individuals who will direct, supervise or coach a student activity program that involves athletics, routine or regular physical activity or activities with health and safety considerations. School districts determine which staff members need to have a permit. Those who wish to apply for a permit through the Ohio Department of Education’s Office of Educator Licensure must complete the requirements outlined here.
UPDATES – Effective Oct. 14, 2015
Districts are to verify all training for coaching permits
School district e-signers will confirm that all applicants for coaching permits have valid training or certification in all required areas, as outlined in the Get Ready – Fulfill Your Training Requirements chart below. The guidance document below will assist e-signers with this verification.
District E-Signer Guidance: Verifying Training for Coaching Permits
Change of permit terms for certain credential holders
In addition to the coaching (pupil activity) permit – three year, there are two new coaching permits (four-year or five-year) available to certain teachers and administrators who hold specific types of educator licenses.
A. A three-year permit if you hold:
- No other educator credential;
- An educator credential other than one of those listed under B. or C.
B. A four-year permit if you hold:
- Either a four-year resident educator license; or
- A four-year alternative resident educator license.
C. A five-year permit if you hold:
- Either a five-year professional license;
- Five-year senior professional license; or
- Five-year lead professional license.
steps for THOSE Requesting a Permit (new or renewal)
On Your Mark – Contact the school district
The hiring process. Your first step is to complete the hiring process for serving as a coach or activity director at the school or district where you wish to coach. Be sure to notify the school or district that you will be submitting your permit application request; the superintendent or a credentialed e-signer will need to electronically sign your application.
Background check. Make sure you have an up-to-date background check on file. If you are renewing, you can check the date of your last background check while completing the application or by looking up your record here. You can ask your district where its staff members start this process if you need to request a new or updated background check.
Get Ready – Fulfill your training requirements
There are five categories of training below. Applicants are to: a) check with their school districts about preferences and procedures related to each category; and b) provide documentation to their districts that they met requirements. We encourage coaches to keep record of any expiration dates for their training sessions so that they can re-take them before they expire (dates vary).
|1. Fundamentals of Coaching - The National Federation of State High School Associations presents this series of online modules. (One-time training)
|2. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training - Fulfill this requirement through a course approved by the district.
|3. First Aid for Coaches - Fulfill this requirement through one of the four categories of options outlined below:
- Ohio Department of Education-approved pupil activity program. Search for a program during a given time span by entering a beginning and ending date here.
- Nationally approved programs
- College or university courses
Courses must be completed within the past three years and be related to first aid or athletic training.
- Medical licenses
The licenses MD, DO, DC, PA, RN, EMT and ATC fulfill the first aid training requirement.
|4. Concussion Training - Complete one of the hour-long courses that are free if you follow directions on the Ohio Department of Health website. The online courses are each valid for three years. Other related resources are here.
5. Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training - Each year, coaches must review the Ohio Department of Health's new video and related fact sheet. Although districts may choose how they will verify completion, the Department encourages use of its Learning Management System (LMS). Access LMS through individual SAFE accounts. On the LMS homepage at top right, select the Course Catalog. Then search for sudden cardiac arrest to find the course. After permit holders view the materials and pass a short test, they can earn their certificates of completion.
For any individuals who are having difficulty accessing the LMS, the Department suggests that districts ask these applicants to review the video and related materials on the Ohio Department of Health website.
- Make sure you have a SAFE account. If you are certain you do not have a SAFE account, set one up following the instructions here.
- If you have a SAFE account but do not remember the user name or password, follow the prompts in the blue sign-in box on the SAFE portal to reset your password. Please do not set up a second SAFE account. If you need assistance, you may contact (877) 644-6338 or SAFE.email@example.com.
- IRN - Ask your district for its Information Retrieval Number (IRN).
GO – Use a set-by-step guide while completing the online application
Application Guide for RENEWAL of Coaching Permits
To Check the Application Status
- Log into your SAFE account.
- From the SAFE menu, click on ODE.CORE.
- Select STATUS - My Applications.
- Under Status, your application will say one of the following:
- Waiting for Approver Signature – signifies that the application is awaiting review and approval by the e-signer at your district. If approved, your application will move forward in the review process.
- Pending review – means that ODE’s Office of Educator Licensure is reviewing the application.
5.If your status is on hold, please read the detailed message within the My Applications area (see the Status column) that explains the reason for the “on hold” message. You also will receive an email from the CORE system with this same message, which may ask you to take additional steps before your license request can move forward in the review process.
Last Modified: 7/11/2017 12:28:54 PM