Instructional Assistant Permit – Autism Scholarship
LICENSURE RENEWAL UPDATE. As a result of the ongoing coronavirus health crisis and in accordance with the passage of House Bill 404 of the 133rd General Assembly, all licenses and permits previously set to expire on July 1, 2020, have been extended, including instructional assistant permits. These licenses and permits will remain valid until July 1, 2021, to allow additional time for educators who need to complete requirements for renewal. All educators whose instructional assistant permits were previously set to expire July 1, 2020, must still renew for the 2020-21 school year (effective date July 1, 2020) in accordance with their license renewal cycle. Accordingly, educators who hold renewable one-year instructional assistant permits and wish to renew for the next (2021-22) school year must first renew for the 2020-21 school year.
The Ohio Department of Education issues one-year instructional assistant permits to individuals who meet qualifications and have been hired by a registered private provider under the Autism Scholarship Program.
Who may apply for this permit? This permit is for individuals who provide services to children under the Autism Scholarship Program only. These services include the supervision of children and assistance with instructional tasks. Please see section 3301-25-10 of the Ohio Administrative Code for more information about requirements for this permit.
Complete the following before applying for this permit (new or renewal) through the Department’s online system:
- Obtain employment as an instructional assistant with the registered private provider; AND
- Notify the registered provider you will be selecting it to electronically sign your application.
Do you have current background checks on file? You must have current background checks for licensure. Please see our Background Check FAQs for more information.
Have you met coursework requirements? You must meet one of the following requirements:
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education; OR
- Have completed at least two years of study (defined as 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours) at an accredited institution of higher education.
Please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format to your OH|ID account. Please note that we cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts.
Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements. You may also click here
for a video tutorial on scanning and uploading transcripts:
You may renew your one-year instructional assistant permit provided you have met employment requirements and completed the following:
- Successfully performed instructional tasks; AND
- Completed in-service training.
Please note, the registered private provider verifies all renewal requirements.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard. This application is housed under the Nonpublic School Teachers and Administrators category in the online application.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 12/30/2020 2:46:37 PM