School Business Manager License
The equivalent of an approved program for the school business manager license shall include the following educational and field experience components:
A baccalaureate degree in business
A baccalaureate degree in a nonbusiness area with 15 semester hours selected from at least four (4) of the following areas:
- Collective bargaining and labor relations
- Computer applications
- Food service management
- Office administration
- Personnel management
- School finance
- School law
- Risk management
- Transportation management
- School plant management and operations
Field Experience Requirements
The field experience component may be met through completion of a 300-hour internship in a school business manager’s office, under the direct supervision of a licensed school business manager.
The 300-hour internship should be an individualized, mutually developed series of experiences reflective of the results of an assessment of the educational needs of the intern as related to the role, functions, and responsibilities of the business manager.
The 300 hours should be well distributed over the following:
- Overview of business office responsibilities
- Supervision and management of district business affairs
- Budget development and long-range financial planning
- Management of district real estate and insurance programs
- Supervision of support services in the areas of purchasing, food services and transportation
- Personnel management of all clerical, business and support staff
- Supervision of facility maintenance, construction and alteration
- Coordination of safety programs including fire inspection and prevention, weather alerts, energy conservation and school bus safety inspection.
Please use the School Business Manager Internship verification form for field experience verification.
In place of a supervised 300-hour school business manager internship, it is possible to utilize two years of experience as a business manager or as a supervisor or director of business services in an organizational setting.
This experience must be at the level of either chief or assistant (deputy) business manager or director, and must be representative of the broad range of functions associated with the school business manager position.
Areas of responsibility must include at least four of the following:
- Facilities maintenance
- Facilities construction and expansion
- Real estate management
- Insurance and risk management
- Food services
- Health and safety programs
- Personnel management
- Budget development and long-range planning
Requirements for Renewal
The professional license is valid for five years and may be renewed by individuals currently employed in a school or school district upon verification that the following requirements have been completed since the issuance of the license to be renewed:
- Six (6) semester hours of coursework related to the area of licensure, OR
- Eighteen continuing education units (180 contact hours) or other equivalent activity related to the area of licensure as approved by the local professional development committee of the employing school or school district.
Each licensed individual wishing to fulfill the license renewal requirements is responsible for the design of an individual professional development plan, subject to approval of the local professional development committee. The plan shall be based on the needs of the individual, the students, the school, and the school district.
Coursework or continuing education units or other equivalent activities may be combined.
Not Currently Employed
Renewal of the professional license for individuals not currently employed in a school or school district shall require completion of six semester hours of coursework relevant to the area of licensure since the issuance of the license to be renewed.
License Lapsed Up to Five Years
A professional license that has lapsed for up to five years due to not meeting the professional development requirements may be reinstated upon completion of nine semester hours of coursework relevant to the area of licensure since the issuance of the license to be renewed.
License Lapsed More than Five Years
A professional license that has lapsed for more than five years due to not meeting the professional development requirements may be reinstated upon completion of 12 semester hours of coursework relevant to the area of licensure since the issuance of the license to be renewed.
- Access your SAFE account.
- Click ODE.CORE.
- Complete the online application form from your Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 3/18/2019 3:15:07 PM