Substitute License

The Ohio Department of Education issues one-year or five-year substitute teaching licenses to applicants who meet qualifications and who have been hired to serve in schools or school districts. 

Preliminary Steps for First-time or Renewal of Licenses

  • Contact a school, district or educational service center. Please DO NOT apply for this license (new or renewal) through the department's online system until you have completed the two steps below; otherwise, your application will be declined. Steps are:
    • Complete the employment process at the Ohio school, district or educational service center for which you are interested in serving as a substitute teacher.
    • Notify the employing organization that you will be selecting it as you apply online; the organization's e-signer will need to electronically sign your license application. 
  • Learn more before applying. Whether you are applying for a first-time license or a renewal, please review the About Substitute License Types section below.
  • Do you have a current background check? All licensed educators must have current background checks for their licenses to be issued. For more information, click here
  • Review the Complete list of License Types and Teaching Field Codes for Substitute Licenses here.
  • Do you need a transcript sent? If you are applying for a NEW long-term or short-term substitute license, you will need to have an official transcript (no photocopies). Please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format only during step 3 of the online application. We cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements:
    • Confer date of degree must be visible.
    • Include all pages of transcript (front and back).
    • Registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
    • Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
    • Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
  • Did you complete your degree outside the United States? College coursework completed outside the United States requires a course-by-course analysis from an approved international credential evaluation service. List of approved organizations

Note: A teacher who has an expired educator license but wishes to teach in the same area of the previous license will not need to provide transcript(s). 

About Substitute License Types 

Short-term substitute license

This license may be issued to the holder of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. An individual holding a short-term substitute license may teach in a given classroom for no more than 60 (school) days during the current school year. For periods longer than 60 (school) days, an individual with a long-term substitute license must be employed.

Long-term substitute license

A long-term substitute license may be issued to the holder of a baccalaureate degree who has evidence of appropriate coursework as follows:

  • Early Childhood (preK to Grade 3) – 12 semester hours in professional early childhood education.
  • Middle Childhood (Grades 4-9) – 20 semester hours in EACH subject requested.
  • Adolescence to Young Adult (Grades 7-12) – 20 semester hours in EACH subject requested.
  • Multi-Age (preK to Grade 12) – 20 semester hours in EACH subject requested. 
  • Licenses in integrated content areas – applicant must show evidence of an appropriate distribution of coursework. Example: for a license in integrated science, applicant must have coursework in life science, earth science, physics and chemistry. 
  • Intervention Specialist (either preK to Grade 12 or K-12, depending upon specific area) – 12 semester hours in special education. This license may be issued only as a one-year license, new or renewal. When renewing this substitute license, the applicant must have an additional six semester hours in a program leading to intervention specialist licensure.
  • Pupil Services Interpreter for the Hearing Impaired – the district e-signer must verify with his or her electronic signature in the online license system that the applicant has the necessary skills to serve in the capacity of educational interpreter.
  • Career-Tech Workforce Development – The district e-signer must verify with his or her electronic signature in the online license system that the applicant has the necessary skills and/or education to serve in the teaching field requested.

Note: License areas are outlined in Ohio Revised Code 3301-23-44 (D) (2) (a) through (e)

Application Instructions

  • Access your SAFE account.
  • Click ODE.CORE.
  • Complete the online application from your Dashboard.
  • See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.

Related Links

Last Modified: 7/26/2018 8:45:18 AM