Out of State Licensure

If you completed an out of state licensure program, please see below for important information regarding the online application process. 

Required Documents

 Please upload the following documents during the online application process:

  • Out of state teaching license (front and back), OR
  • Letter of eligibility -  If you do not hold a teaching license in the state in which you completed a teacher education program, please submit a letter, on university letterhead, signed by the dean or head of teacher education, stating the license type you are eligible for in that state and the subject area(s) this license allows you to teach. For Intervention Specialist licenses, the letter must state the disability areas included in the scope of the license;
  • Verification of completed out of state licensure exams (see requirements for testing below);
  • Verification of experience (see requirements for experience below);
  • Official transcripts - Please scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format only. We cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Please see the following requirements before uploading your transcripts:
    • The confer date of your degree must be visible.
    • Include all pages of the transcript (front and back).
    • The registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
    • Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
    • Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
  • Please note: You must provide a course-by-course analysis from a Department approved international credential evaluation service for college coursework completed outside the United States. List of approved organizations

Verification of Experience

Please provide verification of the necessary experience for the Ohio license(s) you are requesting by submitting an original letter, on district letterhead, signed and dated by the superintendent of schools or the human resource director verifying your dates of full-time employment, assignments and grade levels during each year of employment as a lead classroom teacher. Additionally, please provide the teaching license(s) you held during each school year you taught. The years on the license(s) must coincide with your work experience verification letter(s).

Are you applying for an initial Ohio teaching license?

  • Apply for a four-year resident educator license if you have less than three years of out of state teaching experience under a standard teaching license (experience verification not required).
  • Apply for a five-year professional teaching license if you have three or more years of out of state teaching experience under a standard teaching license (experience verification required, including work experience verification letters and previously held teaching licenses).

  Are you applying for an initial Ohio administrator license?

  • Professional principal license – You must have a minimum of two years of teaching experience under a standard teaching license (experience verification required).
  • Professional administrative specialist license – You must have two years of teaching experience under a standard teaching license, with the exception of the pupil services administration license, which requires two years of experience under a professional pupil services license (experience verification required).
  • Professional superintendent license – You must have three years of administrative experience (experience verification required).

Are you applying for an initial Ohio pupil services license?

  • Experience verification is not required for a pupil services license. However, you must hold the corresponding Ohio Board license for the following pupil services areas:  school audiologist, school speech-language pathologist, school social worker, school nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist.

Licensure Assessment Requirements

Applicants who meet any of the following criteria must successfully complete required licensure exams.

  • You began college coursework AFTER July 1, 1987, OR
  • You began coursework requirements PRIOR to July 1, 1987, but did not complete licensure requirements until AFTER July 1, 1991, OR
  • You are adding an area to an existing license or seeking a new license (program completed after July 1, 1991).

If you have not completed both a content area assessment and professional knowledge/pedagogy assessment for licensure in your state, please click here for testing requirements.

Please note: Educators requesting licensure in early childhood (grades Prek-3), middle childhood (grades 4-9), intervention specialist or early childhood intervention specialist areas must also pass the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) 090 Foundations of Reading exam. The requirement applies to any applicant who is issued a license in one of these areas on or after July 1, 2017. Please click here for more information.

Reading Coursework Requirements

Educators requesting Early Childhood, Middle Childhood or Intervention Specialist licensure must successfully complete at least 12 semester hours of coursework in the teaching of reading. This includes at least one separate course of at least three semester hours in the teaching of phonics in the context of reading, writing and spelling. Educators must complete coursework requirements through an accredited college or university and provide an official transcript from that institution. Educators who completed out of state licensure programs must complete at least six of the required 12 semester hours of coursework in the teaching of reading to be issued a standard teaching license in Ohio. The remaining coursework requirement will be listed as a limitation on the license and must be completed before the license expiration date.

Background Checks

You must submit BCI and FBI background checks for initial licensure. Click here for information. 

If you reside outside of Ohio, please call the office of Educator Licensure at the Ohio Department of Education to request fingerprint cards.

Application Instructions

  • Access your SAFE account.
  • Click ODE.CORE.
  • Complete the online application from your Dashboard.
  • See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.

Related Links

Last Modified: 10/29/2018 9:00:29 AM