How to Renew a Five-Year Professional or Associate License
Currently Employed in an Ohio School
Educators currently employed in an Ohio public school or district, chartered non-public school or community school are responsible for the design of an Individual Professional Development Plan, subject to the approval of the Local Professional Development Committee. The plan should be based on the needs of the educator, the students, the school and the school district, and be aligned with the professional educator standards adopted by the State Board of Education.
In accordance with the approved plan, the educator must complete:
- Six semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching and/or the area of licensure; or
- 18 continuing education units (CEUs) (180 contact hours); or
- Other equivalent activities related to classroom teaching and/or the area of licensure as approved by the Local Professional Development Committee of the employing school, district or agency since the issuance of the license to be renewed.
Coursework, CEUs or other equivalent activities may be combined.
Note: Professional license holders who have earned national board certification may renew with verification of the currently valid national board license.
Not Currently Employed in an Ohio School
Educators not currently employed in an Ohio public school or district, chartered non-public school or community school may renew with one of the following:
Coursework Requirements For Renewal
- No pre-approval of coursework: The Department DOES NOT pre-approve coursework. Educators should select coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure.
- Accreditation: Educators must complete coursework through an accredited college or university. To verify accreditation, check with the college or university directly or check here. Click here to find accredited institutions approved to offer Educator Preparation programs in the state of Ohio.
- Dates of coursework: Educators who wish to renew their licenses must have completed coursework after the issue date of the license they wish to renew.
- Course requirements for currently expiring licenses: Complete six semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education. Educators must complete renewal coursework prior to September 1 of the expiration year of the license to be renewed, or the renewal requirement increases to nine semester hours.
- Course requirements for licenses that have lapsed for up to five years: Complete nine semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
- Course requirements for licenses that have lapsed more than five years: Complete twelve semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
Note: Renewal requirements for a currently expiring license apply to educators continuously employed under another valid Ohio certificate or license, or as an educator in another state under a currently valid certificate or license.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSE HOLDERS RENEWING WITH OUT-OF-STATE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Out-of-state educators who held or hold an Ohio professional license may renew with the following requirements:
- Verification of current employment as an educator in another state. Submit an original letter, on district letterhead, signed by the superintendent of schools or the human resource director verifying dates of full-time employment, assignments and grade levels during each year of employment as a lead classroom teacher;
- Out-of-state teaching license. Submit a valid, standard teaching license issued by the state in which you have been teaching; and
- Coursework or continuing education units (CEUs). Submit verification of coursework OR continuing education units related to classroom teaching or the area of licensure completed since the issue date of the out-of-state license.
License holders with reading or phonics limitations:
Educators who have reading and/or phonics limitations listed on their license(s) must complete all required coursework in the teaching of reading and/or phonics before renewing and/or advancing that license. Submit an official transcript from an accredited college or university reflecting the completed coursework requirements with the online application.
Consistently High Performing Teacher License Renewal
Certain educators with professional, lead professional or senior professional teaching licenses may not need to complete additional coursework or equivalent continuing education credits to renew their educator licenses. Learn more here.
How Do I Complete My Online Application?
- Access your SAFE Account.
- Click on ODE.CORE
- From your Dashboard, select Renew/My Credentials.
- Complete the three steps of the application, and submit payment.
Last Modified: 5/16/2018 1:26:31 PM