How to Renew a Five-Year Professional, Advanced or Associate License
Currently Employed in an Ohio School
Educators currently employed in an Ohio public school or district, chartered non-public school or community school are responsible for the design of an Individual Professional Development Plan, subject to the approval of the Local Professional Development Committee (LPDC). The plan should be based on the needs of the educator, the students, the school and the school district, and be aligned with the professional educator standards adopted by the State Board of Education.
In accordance with the approved plan, the educator must complete:
- Six semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure; or
- 18 continuing education units (CEUs) (180 contact hours); or
- Other equivalent activities related to classroom teaching or the area of licensure as approved by the Local Professional Development Committee of the employing school, district or agency since the issuance of the license to be renewed.
Coursework, CEUs or other equivalent activities may be combined.
Note: Professional license holders who have earned national board certification may renew with verification of the currently valid national board license.
Not Currently Employed in an Ohio School
Educators not currently employed in an Ohio public school or district, chartered non-public school or community school may renew with one of the following:
Coursework Requirements For Renewal
- No pre-approval of coursework: The Department DOES NOT pre-approve coursework. Educators should select coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure. Submit official transcript(s) from an accredited college or university reflecting the completed renewal coursework requirements with the online application.
- Accreditation: Educators must complete coursework through an accredited college or university. To verify accreditation, check with the college or university directly or check here. Click here to find accredited institutions approved to offer Educator Preparation programs in the state of Ohio.
- Dates of coursework: Educators who wish to renew their licenses must have completed coursework after the issue date of the license they wish to renew.
- Course requirements for currently expiring licenses: Complete six semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education. Educators must complete renewal coursework prior to September 1 of the expiration year of the license to be renewed, or the renewal requirement increases to nine semester hours.
- Course requirements for licenses that have lapsed for up to five years: Complete nine semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
- Course requirements for licenses that have lapsed more than five years: Complete twelve semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
Other professional development
If you earned CEUs and/or contact hours approved by your former Ohio school, district or educational service center (ESC) after the issue date of the license you are renewing, you must submit an Educator Leaving an LPDC Verification form, completed by your former school, district or ESC LPDC chairperson to verify your CEUS/contact hours. Please do not upload any CEU forms other than the Educator Leaving an LPDC Verification form (completed by your LPDC chairperson) with your online renewal application. Please click here for the most up-to-date version of the Educator Leaving an LPDC form.
Note: Renewal requirements for a currently expiring license apply to educators continuously employed under another valid Ohio certificate or license, or as an educator in another state under a currently valid certificate or license.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSE HOLDERS RENEWING WITH OUT-OF-STATE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Out-of-state educators who hold an Ohio professional license and are currently employed under their standard out-of-state teaching license(s) may renew with the following requirements:
license holders with reading or phonics coursework limitations
Educators who have reading and/or phonics limitations listed on their license(s) must complete all required coursework in the teaching of reading and phonics before renewing or advancing that license. Submit an official transcript from an accredited college or university reflecting the completed coursework requirements with the online application.
Consistently High Performing Teacher License Renewal
Certain educators with professional, lead professional or senior professional teaching licenses may not need to complete additional coursework or equivalent continuing education credits to renew their educator licenses. Learn more here.
Instructions for Submitting Official Transcripts
Please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format to your OH|ID account. Please note that we cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts.
Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements. You may also click here
for a video tutorial on scanning and uploading transcripts:
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 3/9/2021 9:51:00 AM