How to Transition a Certificate to a License
As of Sept. 2, 2002, all expired or expiring four-year provisional or eight-year professional certificates must be transitioned to a five-year professional license at the time of renewal.
Coursework Requirements For Transition
- No pre-approval of coursework: Applicants do not need to seek pre-approval of coursework from the Ohio Department of Education. The department DOES NOT pre-approve coursework. Applicants should select coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure.
- Accreditation: Coursework must be completed at an accredited college or university. To verify accreditation, check with the college or university directly or check here. Click here to find accredited institutions approved to offer Educator Preparation programs in the state of Ohio.
- Dates of coursework: Applicants who wish to renew their licenses must have completed coursework after the issue date of the license they wish to renew.
- Course requirements for certificates that have lapsed for up to five years: Complete nine semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
- Course requirements for certificates that have lapsed more than five years: Complete twelve semester hours of coursework related to classroom teaching and/or area of licensure from an accredited two-year or four-year institution of higher education.
Note: If, during the lapsed period of the certificate, the certificate holder is continuously employed under another valid Ohio certificate or license, or as an educator in another state under a currently valid certificate or license, then the renewal provisions for "Currently Expiring Certificates" applies.
Pupil Services Certificate Transitions
Transition of the following certificates to a five-year professional license may be obtained by an individual who evidences a currently valid license issued by the respective Ohio licensure board.
- School audiologist
- School nurse
- School social worker
- Occupational therapist
- School speech-language pathologist
- Physical therapist
Using the CORE licensure system tool, educators can update their demographic data and pay licensure fees online using a credit card.
Access the CORE licensure system by signing into SAFE.
Note: If your application requires an e-signature of a superintendent, Local Professional Development Committee or college education dean, that individual must be an e-signer before you can submit your application online.
Last Modified: 5/15/2017 8:10:11 AM