Alternative Resident Educator License - Montessori
House Bill 487 of the 130th General Assembly created an alternative resident educator license for Montessori teaching.
Applicants for This License Must:
1. Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education;
2. Have successfully completed one of the following:
- Graduated from an American Montessori Society-affiliated teacher education program;
- Hold a certificate from the Association Montessori Internationale; or
- Hold a certificate from an institution accredited by the Montessori accreditation council for teacher education.
3. Be employed in an Ohio school that operates a program that uses the Montessori Method endorsed by the American Montessori Society or the Association Montessori Internationale as its primary method of instruction; and
4. Have currently valid criminal background checks. Please click here for information.
Requirements for Educators Holding This License
Individuals who are teaching under a Montessori alternative resident educator license are required to enroll in and successfully complete the Ohio Resident Educator Program. Click here for information regarding this program.
Applying for the License
Individuals who qualify for this license may apply for it through CORE licensure system, the Ohio Department of Education’s online license application system. For more information about the CORE licensure system, click here.
You may upload documents verifying required Montessori credentials and your official transcripts during the online application process.
- Please scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format only. We cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements:
- Confer date of degree must be visible.
- Include all pages of transcript (front and back).
- Registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
- Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately.
- Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
The online license system will prompt applicants to select the employing Montessori organization (school) to electronically sign and approve the alternative licensure request and to verify employment. If the employing Montessori school does not appear in the list of available options to select, please contact the Ohio Department of Education at (614) 466-3593 or educator.licensure@education.Ohio.gov for assistance.
Requirements for a Professional Educator License
- Completion of four years of successful teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license as verified by the employing superintendent -
- Upload letter on letterhead from employing superintendent or human resources director verifying successful completion of four years teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license during the application process;
- Successful completion of the four-year Ohio Resident Educator Program;
- Successful completion of an additional 12 semester (18 quarter) hours of professional education coursework, from a college or university approved to prepare teachers in the principles and practices of teaching, student development and learning, pupil assessment procedures, curriculum development, classroom management and teaching methodology;
- Successful completion of the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) test #004 - Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (PK-12) during the second year of teaching under the alternative resident educator license (information and registration may be found here); and
- It is the responsibility of the license holder to maintain validity of his/her license, and to keep current on requirements to advance to a five-year professional educator license as referenced in section 3319.261 of Ohio Revised Code.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 5/21/2019 2:33:17 PM