Alternative Resident Educator License for World Languages (Grades P-12)
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education;
24 semester (36 quarter) hours in the world language to be taught with a 2.5 GPA or higher consisting of coursework well distributed across the subject area, showing increasing depth and complexity and with sufficient advanced coursework in the subject area;
- Successful completion of the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) with a rating of Intermediate-High or higher. Information and registration may be found at (ACTFL/LTI) www.languagetesting.com;
- Successful completion of a state approved Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute -
- Transcript evaluation, coursework, background checks and testing requirements must be completed prior to registering for the Intensive Pedagogical Institute (IPTI); and
- Evaluation Request Application
- The evaluation is required before an applicant may enroll in the Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute (IPTI) and will outline the eligibility requirements for the initial four-year alternative resident educator license as well as the requirements to advance to a five-year professional educator license.
Upon successful completion of all requirements, an Alternative Resident Educator License Statement of Eligibility will be issued and may be used to seek employment as a teacher in the schools of Ohio.
Note: In the second year of teaching under the alternative resident educator license, the educator must take the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) test #004 - Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (PK-12). Information and registration may be found at http://www.oh.nesinc.com/.
Requirements for a Professional Educator License
- Completion of four years of successful teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license as verified by the employing superintendent -
- Upload letter on letterhead from employing superintendent or human resources director verifying successful completion of four years teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license during the application process;
- Successful completion of the four year Ohio Resident Educator Program;
- Successful completion of an additional 12 semester (18 quarter) hours of professional education coursework, from a college or university approved to prepare teachers, in the principles and practices of teaching, student development and learning, pupil assessment procedures, curriculum development, classroom management and teaching methodology;
- Successful completion of a three semester hour course in the teaching of reading in the content area;
- Successful completion of the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) test #004 - Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (PK-12) during the second year of teaching under the alternative resident educator license (information and registration may be found at http://www.oh.nesinc.com/); and
- It is the responsibility of the license holder to maintain validity of his/her license, and to keep current on requirements to advance to a five-year professional educator license as set forth in Ohio law.
How Do I Complete My Online Application?
- Access your SAFE account.
- Click on ODE.CORE
- From your Dashboard, select the appropriate action (Apply/New Application).
- Select Alternative Teachers and Administrators.
- Completed the three steps of the application, and submit payment.
Last Modified: 10/11/2016 2:14:24 PM