Alternative Resident Educator License - for Teaching a Designated Subject in Grades K-12
- A bachelor's degree with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher from an accredited institution of higher education;
- Successful completion of the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) content assessment for the licensure area;
- Successful completion of the Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute -
- An applicant must have a completed transcript evaluation and completed background checks and testing requirements before registering for the Intensive Pedagogical Institute (IPTI); and
- Evaluation Request Application
- Before an applicant may enroll in the Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute (IPTI), he or she must submit the evaluation form and receive notice of its successful completion. The evaluation will outline the eligibility requirements for the initial four-year alternative resident educator license as well as the requirements to advance to a five-year professional educator license.
Please note: Applicants for alternative integrated language arts licenses issued on or after July 1, 2017, also must successfully complete the OAE 090 Foundations of Reading exam. Find information and register here.
Upon the applicant’s successful completion of all requirements, the Department will issue an Alternative Resident Educator License Statement of Eligibility that the applicant may use in seeking employment as a teacher in Ohio schools.
Requirements for a Professional Educator License
A candidate for a professional educator license must successfully complete:
- Four years of successful teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license as verified by the employing superintendent;
- To verify successful completion of four years teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license, the candidate must upload a letter on district letterhead from the employing superintendent or human resources director during the application process.
- The four-year Ohio Resident Educator Program;
- Twelve semester (18 quarter) hours of professional education coursework, from a college or university approved to prepare teachers, in the principles and practices of teaching, student development and learning, pupil assessment procedures, curriculum development, classroom management and teaching methodology;
- A three semester-hour course in the teaching of reading in the content area for all subject areas except integrated language arts, which shall require successful completion of a minimum of six semester hours in the teaching of reading; and
- The Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) test #004 - Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (PK-12). Please note: An educator with an alternative resident educator license must take this exam during the second year of teaching under the license (find information and register here).
responsibility for maintaining and advancing a valid license
The license holder is responsible for maintaining the validity of his or her license and for keeping current on requirements to advance to a five-year professional educator license as set forth in Ohio law
How Do I Complete My Online Application?
- Access your SAFE account.
- Click on ODE.CORE.
- From your Dashboard, select the appropriate action (Apply/New Application).
- Select Alternative Teachers and Administrators.
- Complete the three steps of the application, and submit payment.
Last Modified: 3/16/2017 1:56:43 PM