Alternative Resident Educator License - for Teaching a Designated Subject in Grades K-12
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education;
- 24 semester (36 quarter) hours in the subject area to be taught with a 2.5 GPA or higher (integrated science, integrated language arts, and integrated social studies require 48 semester or 72 quarter hours) consisting of coursework well distributed across the subject area, showing increasing depth and complexity and with sufficient advanced coursework in the subject area. Six semester hours of the required 48 semester hours for integrated language arts shall be in the teaching of reading.
- Successful completion of the OAE content assessment for the licensure area;
- Successful completion of the Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute -
- Transcript evaluation, coursework, background checks and testing requirements must be completed prior to registering for the Intensive Pedagogical Institute (IPTI); and
- Evaluation Request Application
- The evaluation is required before an applicant may enroll in the Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute (IPTI) and will outline the eligibility requirements for the initial four-year alternative resident educator license as well as the requirements to advance to a five-year professional educator license
Upon successful completion of all requirements, an Alternative Resident Educator License Statement of Eligibility will be issued and may be used to seek employment as a teacher in the schools of Ohio.
Note: In the second year of teaching under the alternative resident educator license, the educator must take the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) test #004 - Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (PK-12). Information and registration may be found at http://www.oh.nesinc.com/.
Requirements for a Professional Educator License
- Completion of four years of successful teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license as verified by the employing superintendent -
- Upload letter on letterhead from employing superintendent or human resources director verifying successful completion of four years teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license during the application process;
- Successful completion of the four year Ohio Resident Educator Program;
- Successful completion of 12 semester (18 quarter) hours of professional education coursework, from a college or university approved to prepare teachers in the principles and practices of teaching, student development and learning, pupil assessment procedures, curriculum development, classroom management and teaching methodology;
- Successful completion of a three semester hour course in the teaching of reading in the content area for all subject areas except integrated language arts, which shall require successful completion of a minimum of 12 semester hours (18 quarter hours) in the teaching of reading including at least one separate three semester hour course in the teaching of phonics;
- Successful completion of the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) test #004 - Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (PK-12) during the second year of teaching under the alternative resident educator license (information and registration may be found at http://www.oh.nesinc.com/); and
- It is the responsibility of the license holder to maintain validity of his/her license, and to keep current on requirements to advance to a five-year professional educator license as set forth in Ohio law.
How Do I Complete My Online Application?
- Access your SAFE account.
- Click on ODE.CORE
- From your Dashboard, select the appropriate action (Apply/New Application).
- Select Alternative Teachers and Administrators.
- Complete the three steps of the application, and submit payment.
Last Modified: 10/11/2016 2:17:44 PM