Alternative Superintendent License
Initial Requirements for a Two-Year License
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution;
- A graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Five or more years of documented successful work experience in teaching, administration, education or management;
- A position as a superintendent and board resolution of appointment to that position.
Requirements in Year One and Year Two
- Assignment of a mentor;
- Completion of a competency based self-assessment developed by the Ohio Department of Education, which is available through the department's website at education.ohio.gov (keyword search: school leadership self-inventory);
- Development of a personal learning plan based on the ISLLC self-assessment;
- Participation in a structured mentoring program consisting of 70 clock hours during the initial two-year license;
- Completion of minimum of 9 semester hours from an accredited university or 135 clock hours of professional development based on the personal learning plan during the initial two-year license.
The employing school district shall require the administrator to develop a plan that outlines observation of classroom instruction across grade levels and subject areas within the school district.
Requirements in Year Three and Year Four
- Continued progress towards meeting the requirements for a professional superintendent license.
Requirements for a Professional Superintendent License
- Four years of successful experience under the alternative superintendent license;
- Completion of an additional 6 semester hours or 90 clock hours of professional development based on the personal learning plan during the second two-year license;
- Participation in a structured mentoring program;
- Successful completion of the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Educational Leadership Exam (#015).
Alternative Superintendent License Documents
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 11/26/2019 8:49:35 AM