Available August 2019
The Ohio Department of Education will issue one-year interim licenses to applicants who meet qualifications and have been hired by Ohio schools to teach in core subject areas while completing either the Ohio Alternative Resident Educator License pathway or a traditional teacher preparation program leading to licensure through an accredited college/university. Core subject areas are defined in section 3319.074 of the Ohio Revised Code as reading and English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, foreign language and fine arts. The Department will not issue interim licenses for intervention specialist licensure areas. Educators are not eligible for an interim license if they have previously held a teaching license (e.g., standard or alternative).
The Department will issue your interim license with evidence of the following:
- Degree - You are required to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- Exam - You must pass the content area exam for the requested subject area; and
- Teaching experience - You need to have at least two years of Prek-12 teaching experience. Your teaching experience may be under a substitute license or permanent nontax certificate and must be verified by your employing superintendent or human resources director.
- Current background checks - Please see our Background Check FAQS for information regarding background check requirements.
documents to submit with the initial interim license application
Please submit the following documents with your online application for the interim license:
- Official transcripts - Scan your original, official transcript and save it in PDF format before uploading it to your OH|ID account. We cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Please see the following requirements before uploading your transcripts:
- Your transcripts must include the date your degree was awarded.
- Include all pages of the transcript (front and back).
- The registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
- Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
- Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
- Electronic transcripts may only be sent directly from the issuing college/university to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please do not submit transcripts that will expire or are password protected or locked.
- If you completed college coursework outside the United States, you must submit a course-by-course analysis from a Department approved international credential evaluation service. Please click here for the list of approved organizations.
- Work experience verification - Submit an original letter, on district letterhead, signed and dated by the school superintendent or human resources director verifying your dates of full-time employment and teaching assignments, including subjects and grade levels during each year of employment.
- Exams - Pearson Education is the exam provider for Ohio educator licensure. Please see the Pearson website for exam information and registration. You must have your official score report sent directly from Pearson to the Department.
Please note that you may only renew this license one time for the 2020-2021 school year. The Department will not issue interim licenses after the 2020-2021 school year.
You must provide verification of one of the following to renew the one-year interim license:
- Enrollment in a traditional teacher preparation program at an accredited college or university;
- Progress toward completion of a Department approved Ohio Alternative Licensure Institute
- Candidates must request an alternative evaluation and meet all eligibility requirements before enrolling in an approved Ohio Alternative Licensure Institute. Please click here for eligibility requirements for the Ohio Alternative Resident Educator License pathway; OR
- Progress toward completion of coursework necessary to qualify for a teaching license.
Documents to submit with the interim license renewal application
- A letter from an accredited college/university verifying your enrollment in an approved traditional teacher preparation program;
- A letter from a Department approved Ohio Alternative Licensure Institute verifying your progress toward completion of training; or
- Official transcripts from an accredited college/university with an approved teacher preparation reflecting coursework completed for the licensure program.
Please see the Ohio Department of Higher Education’s Program Finder for a list of accredited colleges/universities that offer programs leading to Ohio educator licensure.
Click here to access information about Ohio Alternative Resident Educator licenses and enrollment in an approved Ohio Alternative Licensure Institute.
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
Last Modified: 12/18/2019 9:22:07 AM