Mentor/Facilitator/Colleague Selection Process
Program coordinators are responsible for assigning each resident educator a partner who will serve as that teacher’s mentor, facilitator, or colleague for the school year. The description of each role is slightly different. Program coordinators should attempt to find the best possible match between the mentor and the resident educator based on the needs of the resident educator.
When selecting mentors for resident educators, please consider the following:
- A mentor is assigned to every resident educator in program years 1 and 2.
- A mentor provides ongoing instructional support through differentiated mentoring activities that allow resident educators to grow and practice the profession of teaching.
- A mentor must be state-trained by completing the two-day RE Mentor Academy. See certification requirements.
- Program coordinators may use the Mentor Selection Tool (revised tool coming soon) to aid them with selecting appropriate mentors for resident educators.
For more details about Mentors, please visit:
When selecting facilitators for resident educators, please consider the following:
- A facilitator works with resident educators registered to take the Resident Educator Summative Assessment (RESA), which is required in year 3 per Ohio Revised Code 3319.223
- A facilitator should be knowledgeable about the RESA requirements. See RESA details here.
- A facilitator uses the online Facilitator Training and the Ohio RESA Guidebook to aid them in knowing the appropriate support to provide to resident educators.
- To access RESA Facilitation Training, please go to your Ohio Department of Education OH|ID account. Once you are signed into your OH|ID account, choose Learning Management System and click on ok for "navigating to an external application".
- The Ohio RESA Guidebook is developed by TeachForward and posted to their website at www.ohioresa.com.
For more details about Facilitators, please visit:
When selecting colleagues for resident educators, please consider the following:
- A colleague is assigned to resident educators who are in the final year of residency and not taking RESA (typically year 4).
- A colleague works with resident educators to explore various leadership activities within the school/district/state.
- A colleague may use the online Exploring Teacher Leadership module to help their resident educator explore leadership opportunities.
- To access Exploring Teacher Leadership, please go to your Ohio Department of Education OH|ID account. Once you are signed into your OH|ID account, choose Learning Management System and click on ok for "navigating to an external application".
- A colleague has no official training requirements and may be selected by the resident educator if the district allows.
For more details about Colleagues, please visit:
Last Modified: 8/31/2020 4:37:28 PM