Menus that Move is a set of seasonal cycle menus to help schools serve tasty meals that fit within the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) new meal guidelines. Each seasonal cycle menu contains five weekly menus that have been entered into the USDA Menu Certification Worksheet and meet both the required meal components and also nutrient standards that have been entered into a USDA-approved software.
About Menus that Move:
- Seasonal for Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer, featuring local foods in season with cultural flavors;
- Each season contains five weekly menus for grades K-8 and 9-12 with meal components and nutrient standards;
- Contains 50 standardized recipes that include:
- dark green and red/orange vegetables
- whole grain rich foods;
- The recipes and menus include USDA Foods and State Processed Foods;
- The cycle menus meet the Target 1 sodium levels;
- Provide guidance for schools that want to add meal components to fulfill the new criteria for the HealthierUS School Challenge (Bronze).
An advisory committee of foodservice directors from across Ohio was formed to review and evaluate the menus based on ease of preparation, cost considerations, equipment, and taste acceptance. The recipes have been standardized and taste-tested with students in five regional school districts.
We hope you’ll enjoy Menus that Move. Please contact Susan Patton (Susan.Patton@education.ohio.gov) with any questions regarding the menus.
The Ohio Department of Education would like to thank the Ohio State University for the creation of the standardized set of healthy cycle menus and recognize the following individuals for their contributions to this menu project. Their work required an exceptional amount of technical expertise and dedicated hours to ensure the accuracy and creativity of the menus.
Jan Ritter, RD, LD
Kayla Jupp, RD
Menu Advisory Committee
Recipe Standardization and Testing
Delaware City Schools
Fremont City Schools
Highland Local Schools
Kettering City Schools
Licking Heights Schools
Northern Local Schools
Menu and Recipe Design
Angela Collene, MS, RD, LD