Additional resources available to support student attendance and engagement
As students return to the classroom for the 2021-2022 school year, they may experience challenges to getting to school regularly related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Ohio’s districts and schools have shown a dedication and commitment to supporting students’ learning by providing families with the safest possible learning environment, where health, wellness and safety are priorities. Together, Ohio’s education community is engaged in a partnership-based approach to providing the services and support necessary to meet the needs of the whole child and ensuring students, educators and staff are healthy, safe and successful every day.
Keep in mind that attendance is more than a physical presence in a building. Attendance means students are prepared to engage in their learning every day, no matter where it occurs. When the learning environment changes, districts and schools may need to shift how they support students and how they engage with families. The Ohio Department of Education released Supporting Student Attendance and Engagement guidance for districts and schools in the Back to School Resources section of its website. This webpage provides information on addressing attendance concerns resulting from illness or quarantine and implementing Ohio’s attendance laws using a supportive approach.
Additional resources for supporting student attendance and engagement include:
- Attendance Works is a national and state initiative that pushes for better policy and practice to improve school attendance. Attendance Works offers resources and research for monitoring, understanding and addressing chronic absence beginning in the early grades through secondary school. These strategies can be implemented at the school, district and state levels. Attendance Works also offers Pathways to Engagement: A Toolkit for COVID-19 Recovery Through Attendance, which provides a framework, tools and resources for how to forge pathways to engagement, especially for those who have lost out on significant instructional opportunities during the pandemic.
- The Stay in the Game! Network is committed to providing Ohio's educators, students, parents, families and caregivers with access to quality tools and strategic counsel aimed at elevating attendance and putting an end to chronic absenteeism. Included in the resources is the Free Guide for Educators, which provides districts and schools with a four-step process for supporting student attendance.
- The U.S. Department of Education has developed a Return to School Roadmap to support educators and school leaders, parents, families and communities. This roadmap provides information that prioritizes health and safety; social, emotional and mental health; and academic achievement.
- The Ohio Statewide Family Engagement Center at The Ohio State University provides support for districts and schools developing robust family engagement strategies and resources for families.
- The Department provides additional resources on its family engagement website.