Nineteen Ohio Schools Named 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools
Last week, the U.S. Department of Education recognized 353 schools as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2023, including 19 schools in Ohio. The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups on assessments.
The Ohio schools named as National Blue Ribbon Schools were:
- Akron – Saint Sebastian Parish School, Diocese of Cleveland.
- Ashville – Walnut Elementary School, Teays Valley Local Schools.
- Berlin Center – Western Reserve Elementary School, Western Reserve Local Schools.
- Canal Fulton – Northwest Middle School, Northwest Local School District.
- Chesterland – Robert C Lindsey Elementary School, West Geauga Local Schools.
- Cincinnati – Saint Mary School, Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
- Cincinnati – Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati Public Schools.
- Fort Recovery – Fort Recovery Middle School, Fort Recovery Local Schools.
- Granville – Granville Middle School, Granville Exempted Village Schools.
- Lakewood – Lakewood Catholic Academy, Diocese of Cleveland.
- Loveland – Saint Margaret of York Elementary School, Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
- Mount Vernon – East Elementary School, Mount Vernon City.
- Parma Heights – Incarnate Word Academy, Diocese of Cleveland.
- Rocky River – Kensington Intermediate School, Rocky River City School District.
- Solon – Orchard Middle School, Solon City Schools.
- Sugarcreek – Ragersville Elementary School, Garaway Local Schools.
- Uniontown – Lake Middle/High School, Lake Local School District.
- Westlake – Saint Bernadette Elementary School, Catholic Diocese of Cleveland.
- Youngstown – Robinwood Lane Elementary School, Boardman Local Schools.
With its 40th cohort, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,700 schools. National Blue Ribbon Schools serve as models of effective and innovative school practices for state and district educators and other schools throughout the nation. The U.S. Department of Education recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students. Nominated schools also complete an extensive narrative application describing their school culture and philosophy, curriculum, assessments, instructional practices, professional development, leadership structures and parent and community involvement.
Photographs and brief descriptions of the 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available at the National Blue Ribbon Schools website.