Having a problem with your school or district?

Here’s what you need to know...

Ohio is a local control state in education. This means that your locally elected school board of education (not the Ohio Department of Education) has the authority to determine policy and establish procedures for many areas in accordance with Ohio school law.

Local school boards have authority to make decisions about

  • Student code of conduct or rules for expected behavior;
  • Residency for school enrollment;
  • Fees;
  • Copies of diplomas, transcripts and records;
  • Grades and student retention/promotion;
  • Excused absences;
  • Teacher evaluations and employment;
  • Discipline for violations of the student code of conduct, including suspensions, expulsions and related appeal procedures;
  • District policy to prevent and address incidents between students such as bullying, harassment and intimidation;
  • Open enrollment policies;
  • Extracurricular activities;
  • School safety;
  • Graduation ceremonies and related participation requirements; and
  • Transportation routes and schedules.

Steps for resolving a conflict

When a problem occurs between your family and your child’s school, you must work out a solution at the local school district level.

Take these steps:

  1. Talk with the teacher or building administrator (principal, assistant principal or guidance counselor) to resolve your concern.
  2. If you have not resolved the situation at the building level, contact your district’s superintendent, or if your child attends a charter school, contact the school sponsor. See the Directory of Community Schools for contact information.
  3. If the matter is still not resolved, contact the members of your local school board of education who have approved the policies and procedures of your child’s school.

Find contact information for your superintendent and school board members on your district website or in your student handbook.

Professional conduct

If you believe an educator has broken a law, you also should contact your local law enforcement agency, or if the concern involves child abuse or neglect, contact your local children services agency.

Most concerns about educators are those that the department encourages you to address with your local district first following the steps outlined above.

If the individual has an Ohio educator license and may have violated the Code of Professional Conduct for Ohio Educators, you also have the option to submit a professional conduct complaint. However, not every complaint results in a state investigation. Families should use the Citizen Reporting Form here, which explains the process. 

Students with disabilities

If you are a parent of a child with a disability, you may read about your rights concerning your child’s education here. For questions or concerns, first contact your child’s teacher, principal or the district’s special education director.

In addition, please see the steps outlined here regarding other options for addressing your concerns.

Last Modified: 11/29/2017 11:51:05 AM