Office of Community Schools February Update
Greetings Sponsors and Community School Staff,
With the second half of the school year well underway, the Office of Community Schools wants to share some reminders:
Upcoming Training Opportunities
- 2020-2021 Sponsor Evaluation Tools posted for feedback: The 2020-2021 Sponsor Evaluation draft tools are posted and available for public comment. The Ohio Department of Education is collecting feedback through surveys that will remain open until 4:59 p.m. on March 3.
- Community schools requesting to change sponsors: Schools requesting approval from the Department for a change in sponsor due to low performance, as prescribed by Ohio Revised Code 3314.034, should have the school administration and governing authority access and follow the technical assistance documents here. Please note, the submission date was updated to Feb. 15, and we have clarified how academics will be reviewed for e-schools (specifically identifying the 10 districts that will be used for comparison).
- Community school mergers: Any community school exploring the possibility of merging with another community school must meet new requirements in Ohio Revised Code 3314.0211. We encourage you to review the section on mergers outlined in the HB 166 FAQ document. If you have additional questions, please reach out (through your sponsor) to your assigned consultant in the Office of Community Schools.
- CTE-26 Application: The FY20 (2019-2020) CTE-26 application is open for career-technical education program approval by the Office of Career-Technical Education. The following timelines govern the process for submitting new CTE-26 program applications or applications for program renewal:
- Community school submits completed program application on or before the lead district in the Career Technical Planning District (CTPD) established submission date
- Community school sponsor must approve or disapprove community school program applications by any school under its sponsorship no later than March 1, 2020. This must occur prior to the lead district in the CTPD taking action.
- The lead district in the CTPD is responsible for approving or disapproving a program application no later than March 1, 2020.
- All CTPD approved or appealed applications must be submitted to the Ohio Department of Education by March 15, 2020. The Ohio Department of Education will review the program application and notify your district of approval or disapproval by May 15, 2020.
- If you have questions, please contact Ryan.Curtis@education.ohio.gov.
- Local Equity Access Planning seeks to ensure that poor and minority students have equitable access to excellent educators who are effective, experienced, and properly licensed or certified. Districts and schools complete local equitable access plans using district and building-specific data to identify areas of opportunity and growth. Sign up for one of the regional equity labs in STARS through the OH|ID Web Portal. Meeting locations and dates are:
- Columbus – Quest Conference Center, Feb. 19;
- Cleveland and Independence – Educational Service Center of Northeast Ohio, Feb. 24;
- Tiffin – Educational Service Center of North Central Ohio, March 2;
- Dayton – Montgomery County Educational Service Center, March 9.