Office of Community School - January Update
Greetings Sponsors and Community Schools Staff,
The Department recently released our Annual Report on Ohio Community Schools. We continue to see positive growth in the Community Schools sector, both from our sponsors and our schools. As we move into 2020, it is important that we build on the positive momentum we have gained and continue to provide quality educational choices for students in Ohio. Below are some announcements and reminders about upcoming events.
- New e-school application: The Department posted the Request for Approval of New Internet-based or Computer-based Community School information on the e-schools webpage. Any parties interested in opening new internet-based or computer-based community schools must complete the application by Jan. 15, 2020.
- The statutory deadline for sponsors to notify community schools on nonrenewal decisions is Jan. 15th.
- Community schools requesting to change sponsors: Schools requesting approval from the Department for a change in sponsor due to low performance, as prescribed by Ohio Revised Code 3314.034, should have the school administration and governing authority access and follow the technical assistance documents here. Please note: The submission date was updated to Feb. 15, and we have clarified how academics will be reviewed for e-schools (specifically identifying the 10 districts that will be used for comparison).
Upcoming Webinars and Trainings for Sponsors:
- Improvement for Community Schools: The Department is looking to host a webinar for sponsors’ staff and representatives from state support teams to discuss how best to coordinate efforts for community schools identified as Priority or Focus. Once the date is scheduled, sponsors will be emailed the information.
- IDEA Disproportionality Identification and Impacts to Community Schools: In February 2020, the Department will release information related to disproportionality and the impact for the 2020-2021 school year when it comes to budgeted federal IDEA funding. The Department will conduct a webinar for sponsor staff members to learn more about disproportionality. Once the date is scheduled, sponsors will be emailed the information.
- Updates to the Closing Assurances Template: The Office of Community Schools will be hosting a feedback session for sponsor staff members to provide feedback on the Closing Assurances Template for use starting July 1, 2020. Sponsors interested in participating should email the name and contact information to email@example.com so we can begin coordinating a meeting with those individuals.
Karl J. Koenig
Office of Community Schools