Academic Distress Commission
Districts are subject to an academic distress commission after receiving an overall grade of F on the Ohio School Report Cards for three consecutive years. Find more information in Ohio Revised Code 3302.10.
PLEASE NOTE - The budget bill prohibits the Superintendent of Public Instruction from establishing any new academic distress commissions (ADCs) for the 2019-2020 school year.
Per Ohio Revised Code Section 3302.101: Academic Distress Commissions Review and Recommendations of the Superintendent of Public Instruction
Academic Improvement Plans (Updated 10/1/21)
Recent changes in state law require districts currently under the oversight of an Academic Distress Commission to submit an academic improvement plan to the state superintendent of public instruction. The plan will be in place for a period of three school years and will include annual and overall academic improvement benchmarks for the district and strategies for achieving those benchmarks.
The state superintendent will review each proposed plan and will approve it or suggest modifications within 30 days of receiving it. If the state superintendent suggests modifications, the district board will revise the plan and resubmit it within 15 days after receiving the suggested modifications. At this point, the state superintendent will review and approve the revised plan within 30 days after receiving it.
Three districts have submitted plans for review. These plans currently are under review and have not yet been approved.
Districts with Academic Distress Commissions as of October 2019
How member appointments are made
- Appointments made within 30 days after the district is notified of the creation of the Academic Distress Commission.
- A total of Five members are appointed
- Three members appointed by State Superintendent (One appointee must be a county resident)
- State Superintendent designates the Chairperson from one of the three members appointed.
- One member appointed by the president of the local school board (Teacher employed by the district)
- One member appointed by the mayor
- Members of the commission serve at the pleasure of their appointing authority
Past district review reports and additional information about district reviews can be found here
Last Modified: 10/5/2021 9:04:17 AM