The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching are the nation's highest honors for mathematics and science teachers. The program recognizes teachers for their contributions to instruction and learning, as well as their ability to help students make progress in mathematics and science. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of mathematics and science education.
Nomination and Application
Applications will be accepted for teachers of grades K-6 in the fall of 2021. See eligibility criteria and apply online at www.paemst.org.
In addition to recognizing outstanding teaching in mathematics or science, the program provides teachers with an opportunity to build lasting partnerships with colleagues across the nation. This growing network of award-winning teachers serves as a vital resource for improving science, technology, engineering and mathematics education, and keeping America globally competitive.
Who is eligible in 2022?
- Elementary and Intermediate (K-6):
- Application Opens: November 2021
- Nomination Deadline: April 1, 2022
- Application Deadline: May 1, 2022
- Middle and High School (7-12):
- The PAEMST 7-12 cycle is not currently open
What Presidential Awardees Receive
- A citation signed by the President of the United States;
- A paid trip for two to Washington, D.C., to attend a series of recognition events and professional development opportunities; and a $10,000 award from the National Science Foundation.
2021 State Finalists
- Chris Bolognese - (High School) The Columbus Academy, Columbus, OH
- Jennifer Walls – (High School) Firestone High School CLC, Akron Public Schools
SCIENCE / STEM
- Margaret Colicchio – (High School) Kenston High School, Kenston Local Schools
- Tom Jenkins – (8th Grade) Greenon Jr/Sr High School, Greenon Local Schools
- Karen Suder – (High School) Summit Country Day School, Cincinnati, OH
2020 State Finalists
- Krystina Pratt – Math (3rd Grade) New Albany Primary School, New Albany-Plain Local Schools
- Paula Eschbach – Science (5th Grade) Tremont Elementary School, Upper Arlington City Schools
- Kayla Heimann – Science (5th Grade) Eastern Elementary School, Lexington Local Schools
- Stephanie Nowak – Science (4th Grade) Fairfax Elementary School, Mentor Exempted Village Schools
“The Presidential Award is an incredible honor, and I share it with my amazing students, family, colleagues, and school community. For me, teaching is a calling, and I have had the privilege of working with hundreds of outstanding people throughout my career. I feel extremely fortunate for being given the opportunity to pursue innovation in the classroom, and I am humbled to be recognized with a Presidential Award.”
Chagrin Falls, OH
"Teaching is an incredibly complex profession, and it isn't always easy to know whether the growth we're working towards as educators is translating into real student success. The Presidential Award is confirmation for me that my hard work of continually seeking professional growth has paid off and inspires me to keep on working towards being the best teacher I can be. I am grateful and overwhelmed to share this honor with my students and teacher collaborators who have challenged and pushed me."
7-12, Science 2019
Last Modified: 6/11/2021 2:43:14 PM