Heading to Kindergarten
Heading to Kindergarten is focused on building partnerships that support successful transitions to kindergarten. The goal is to provide guidance and resources based on best practices to enhance collaboration between early care and education programs, public schools and community partners as a critical pathway to better child outcomes.
During the 2021-2022 school year, seven public school / Head Start teams from around Ohio participated in Cohort 2 of Heading to Kindergarten.
Cohort 2 teams:
- Columbus City Schools / Child Development Council of Franklin County
- Chardon Local Schools / Lake Geauga United Head Start
- Clermont Northeastern / Clermont Northeastern Early Childhood Academy
- Georgetown Exempted Village Schools / Adams Brown Community Action Partnership
- Marion City Schools / Ohio Heartland Community Action Commission
- Paint Valley Local School District / Ross County Community Action Committee
- Portsmouth City School District / Community Action Organization of Scioto County
Supported by the State Support Team Early Childhood Consultant in their region, each public school / Head Start team established a goal, developed an action plan and worked on implementation. Efforts focused on one of three areas: information sharing, building relationships, or program alignment. The seven teams met quarterly as a large group to learn, work together and share experiences.
High quality early childhood education can prepare children for kindergarten, but children’s continued success requires effective partnerships with the teachers and leaders in their next school environment. Heading to Kindergarten
supports Each Child Our Future and the Whole Child Framework by helping schools, families and communities work together to meet the needs of the whole child.
Tour of Celina Primary School - Welcome to Kindergarten, 2021 (Translated in Marshallese)
Objectives of the Heading to Kindergarten Project
1. Promote best practices to enhance collaboration between early care and education programs, community partners, and public schools.
2. Provide resources, professional development, and technical assistance to support effective collaborations and successful transitions to kindergarten in school districts across Ohio.
3. Coordinate an annual state-wide Heading to Kindergarten Transition event.
Questions about Heading to Kindergarten?
Contact: head start@education.Ohio.gov
Last Modified: 9/29/2022 2:55:15 PM