Early Learning Assessment for Teachers
Ohio’s Early Learning Assessment (ELA)
is a tool for teachers of preschool-age children to identify the current level of each child’s skills, knowledge and behaviors in the areas of Social Foundations, Language and Literacy, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Physical Well-Being and Motor Development, as well as the Fine Arts.
The Early Learning Assessment can be used at any time throughout the calendar year. The year is divided into four assessment windows:
|Aug 15 - Nov 14
|Nov 15 - Feb 14
|Feb 15 - May 14
May 15 - Aug 14
There are several professional development opportunities for early care and education professionals to learn about the Early Learning Assessment and professionals should choose the training that best fits their needs and use of the Early Learning Assessment. Early Learning Assessment trainings are available in a 100% virtual format or a hybrid format with online modules and an in-person session. Educators who will use the Early Learning Assessment to make scoring decisions must successfully complete the Early Learning Assessment (ELA) Essentials Training Part 1 and Part 2. The ELA Trainings are only open to educators employed in early childhood programs licensed by either the Ohio Department of Education or the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.
Please send all questions about ELA training to ELAHelp@education.ohio.gov.
The Early Learning Assessment (ELA) Essentials Training is for new users who have not previously completed an ELA training. It is designed for early childhood professionals that will be observing, assessing, and scoring the ELA. Participants will need an account in the Ready for Kindergarten Online system (also known as KReady) to complete the training. The ELA Essentials training consists of completing self-paced online modules and content assessment (Part 1) and a scheduled 3.5-hour online session (Part 2). Teachers must complete the self-paced online modules and a content assessment to be able to register for Part 2.
Registering for ELA Essentials Training
Follow these steps to register and complete the training:
- Log into the Ohio Professional Registry.
- Under Find Training, search for the training title (Early Learning Assessment Essentials: Part 1) or ST number (ST 10135596). See this document for step-by-step instructions to register for and access the training.
- Complete ELA Essentials Training Part 1.
- Log into the Ohio Professional Registry.
- Check to see that your Part 1 completion has been verified in the Ohio Professional Registry. It may take up to 24 hours to show as completed. You will see if the training is verified under the Professional Development tab of your profile.
- After your training is verified, search for the Early Learning Assessment Essentials: Part 2 training under Find Training.
- Select a training date and click Add to Cart. Then click View Cart and check out. NOTE: If a training date listed below does not show up in your search, it is full.
- You will receive a welcome email containing a link to join the training and handouts 2-3 business days prior to your training session. The email will be sent to the address in your Ohio Professional Registry profile. If you have not received the email at least 24 hours prior to your training, please email ELAHelp@education.ohio.gov and include your OPIN number in your message.
- Complete ELA Essentials Part 2 by participating in the scheduled 3.5-hour online session and passing the reliability assessment.
ELA Essentials: Part 2 Session Dates
|December 8, 2023
||8:30 A.M. to Noon
|December 11, 2023
||4:30 P.M. to 8 P.M.
|December 13, 2023
||8:30 A.M. to Noon
Training Policies and Additional Information
Early Learning Assessment for Support Professionals
- You will not be able register for ELA Essentials: Part 2 until you have completed Part 1 and it shows as verified in the Ohio Professional Registry. This may take up to 24 hours after you complete Part 1.
- Registration for Part 2 sessions closes 3 business days prior to the event date.
- Please make sure the email address in the Ohio Professional Registry is accurate, so you receive communications about the training.
- Data managers create individual accounts for teachers and administrators in KReady.
- During the Part 2 scheduled online session, each participant must be on their own device and on camera for the entire session. The last step of the scheduled session is to complete a reliability (simulator) assessment. Participants must stay on camera through the completion of the assessment.
- Participants who are driving, supervising children in a program, or otherwise distracted from the training will be removed from the training. Sign up for a Part 2 session for which you are able to log in at least 5 minutes prior to the start time and fully participate for the entire scheduled time.
- Successful completion of the training requires completing Part 1 and Part 2: the four online modules, participating in a scheduled online session, and scoring 80% or higher on both the content and simulator assessments.
- Please email ELAHelp@education.ohio.gov with any questions.
is specifically designed for assistant teachers, paraprofessionals and educational aides that support a fully ELA-trained professionals. The training provides and overview of the Early Learning Assessment and assessment concepts such as how to document observational evidence. 2024 training schedule coming soon. All sessions will be listed in the Ohio Professional Registry.
ELA Data and Reports Training for Teachers
This recorded Webinar from October 27, 2023 will help educators use Early Learning Assessment (ELA) data reporting tools to enhance their ability to understand students' skills, identify trends, and make informed decisions to support individualized learning and improved educational outcomes. Here is the recording link for the Ohio ELA Data and Reports Training for Teachers
Access Ready for Kindergarten Online System (KReady)
Registered ODE- and OJDFS-licensed programs access the system at https://ohio.kready.org/cas4/sign-in. If your program is new to using the KReady system, the program administrator should contact the Help Desk for assistance on getting started. Please call ELA Help Desk at 844-K12-OHIO (844-512-6446) or visit http://www.ohio-k12.help/ for assistance.
Last Modified: 12/5/2023 12:29:02 PM