Ohio’s Kindergarten Readiness Assessment
At the beginning of each school year, children in public and community school kindergarten programs are assessed using Ohio’s Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Revised. This assessment includes ways for teachers to measure a child’s readiness for engaging with instruction aligned to the kindergarten standards.
Ohio’s Early Learning and Development Standards (birth to kindergarten entry) are the basis for the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Revised. The Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Revised is used to assess four areas of early learning:
- Social Foundations- including social and emotional development, and approaches toward learning
- Language and Literacy
- Physical Well-being and Motor Development
The Language and Literacy portion of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Revised can be used to meet the reading diagnostic assessment requirement of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee. To meet the diagnostic requirement, teachers must complete the Language and Literacy portion by Nov. 1.
The KRA-R is intended to be administered to kindergarten students starting the first day of school or the first day that schools and districts take attendance for students who are enrolled in kindergarten with the administration ending on November 1. Public districts have the option to begin the administration of KRA-R selected response and performance task items up to two weeks prior to the first day of kindergarten. The Ready for Kindergarten Online (KReady) system closes on Nov. 1 at 11:59 pm for entering student scores.
Please note: There was a legislative change to the kindergarten readiness assessment administration window that does not go into effect for this year’s administration (fall 2021). The fall 2022 administration window will start and end earlier. To minimize potential for confusion, we will wait to post more details about the fall 2022 administration window after the close of the fall 2021 administration window.
- KRA Annual Report 2014-2015 – This report includes results from the FY15 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
- KRA Annual Report 2015-2016 – This report includes results from the FY16 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
- KRA Annual Report 2016-2017 – This report includes results from the FY17 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
- KRA Annual Report 2017-2018 - This report includes results from the FY18 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
- KRA Annual Report 2018-2019 - This report includes results from the FY19 administration of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment in Ohio.
Implementation of the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Revised began in fall 2020 replacing the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment that was used in Ohio from 2014 through 2019. The results of the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020, and 2020-2021 Kindergarten Readiness Assessment for each public school district and community school in Ohio are available here
and include overall readiness scores, as well as the four sub-areas of Language and Literacy, Social Foundations, Mathematics, and Physical Development and Well-Being. Step-by-step directions are available to learn how to find released KRA data
Learn more about Ohio's Kindergarten Readiness Assessment
Last Modified: 11/3/2021 4:12:08 PM