Ohio Dyslexia Committee
Update on Ohio Dyslexia Committee work
The Ohio Dyslexia Committee is responsible for developing many of the implementation guidelines for Ohio’s dyslexia support law. The committee began meeting in May and is developing the Ohio Dyslexia Guidebook. The guidebook will contain information and guidance about the required professional development programs and dyslexia screeners.
The Department and the committee have not yet approved any professional development programs or dyslexia screeners to fulfill the dyslexia support law’s requirements. At this time, no dyslexia assessment tools or specific professional development courses have been presented to the committee for consideration. When the Department finalizes the approved lists of professional development programs and dyslexia screeners, the Department immediately will notify district leaders and the Ohio education community. The Department also will post the approved lists on the Ohio dyslexia supports webpage.
For more information and updates about Ohio’s dyslexia support laws, please see the Ohio Dyslexia Committee's webpage. Contact email@example.com with questions or refer to the dyslexia support law's Frequently Asked Questions page.
The Ohio Department of Education sought out nominations for volunteer membership on the Ohio Dyslexia Committee.
ORC 3323.25 requires the Ohio Department of Education to establish the Ohio Dyslexia Committee.
Heath City Schools
Akron Public Schools
Wheelersburg School District
ESC of Lorain County
Ohio Department of Education
Program Coordinator/School psychologist Total Education Solutions
Reading Intervention Specialist
Rocky River City School District
Language Arts Coordinator (Ohio Speech and Hearing Professionals Board Appointment)
Worthington City Schools
Parent (International Dyslexia Association Appointment)
International Dyslexia Association
IDA Board Member (International Dyslexia Association Appointment)
International Dyslexia Association
Higher Education (Ohio Department of Higher Education Appointment)
Mount St. Joseph University
Members of the committee will meet for a full day the last Tuesday of each month from May-December 2021
, with additional meetings added as necessary. Beginning in July 2021, the dyslexia committee meetings will be held in person at the Ohio Department of Education. The Ohio Dyslexia Committee is charged with the following:
- Developing, by Dec. 31, 2021, a dyslexia guidebook regarding the best practices and methods for universal screening, intervention and remediation for children with dyslexia or children displaying dyslexic characteristics and tendencies using a multi-sensory structured literacy program;
- Prescribing the number of clock hours of dyslexia-related professional development and a list of approved courses required for teachers under ORC 3319.077;
- Considering and making recommendations regarding whether professional development requirements should include completion of a practicum;
- Considering whether to recommend appropriate ratios in school buildings of students to teachers who have received certification in identifying and addressing dyslexia;
- Considering whether to recommend other school personnel who should receive certification in identifying and addressing dyslexia, including school psychologists or speech-language pathologists.
Definition of Appropriate Certification
Committee Meeting Notes
Last Modified: 10/29/2021 10:32:36 AM