Ohio Dyslexia Committee
The next Ohio Dyslexia Committee meeting will be held in person, on Tuesday, October 25th, 2022. Additional details and the meeting agenda will be posted at a later date.
Work of the Ohio Dyslexia Committee
The Ohio Dyslexia Committee is responsible for developing many of the implementation guidelines for Ohio’s dyslexia support law. The committee began meeting in May 2021 and has developed Ohio's Dyslexia Guidebook. The guidebook contains information regarding the best practices and methods for universal screening, intervention and remediation for children with dyslexia or children displaying dyslexic characteristics and tendencies using a multi-sensory structured literacy program.
The Department and the committee have not yet approved the list of dyslexia screeners to fulfill the dyslexia support law’s requirements. When the Department finalizes the approved list of dyslexia screeners, the Department immediately will notify district leaders and the Ohio education community. The Department also will post the approved lists on the Ohio dyslexia supports webpage.
Contact email@example.com with questions or refer to the dyslexia support law's Frequently Asked Questions page.
The Ohio Department of Education sought out nominations for volunteer membership on the Ohio Dyslexia Committee.
ORC 3323.25 requires the Ohio Department of Education to establish the Ohio Dyslexia Committee.
Heath City Schools
Akron Public Schools
Wheelersburg School District
ESC of Lorain County
Ohio Department of Education
Program Coordinator/School psychologist Total Education Solutions
Reading Intervention Specialist
Rocky River City School District
Steven M. Griffin
Language Arts Coordinator (Ohio Speech and Hearing Professionals Board Appointment)
Worthington City Schools
Parent (International Dyslexia Association Appointment)
International Dyslexia Association
IDA Board Member (International Dyslexia Association Appointment)
International Dyslexia Association
Higher Education (Ohio Department of Higher Education Appointment)
Mount St. Joseph University
The Ohio Dyslexia Committee meets the last Tuesday of each month through June of 2022, and will then meet as needed. The Ohio Dyslexia Committee was charged with the following:
- Developing, by Dec. 31, 2021, a dyslexia guidebook regarding the best practices and methods for universal screening, intervention and remediation for children with dyslexia or children displaying dyslexic characteristics and tendencies using a structured literacy program;
- Prescribing the number of clock hours of dyslexia-related professional development and a list of approved courses required for teachers under ORC 3319.077;
- Considering and making recommendations regarding whether professional development requirements should include completion of a practicum;
- Considering whether to recommend appropriate ratios in school buildings of students to teachers who have received certification in identifying and addressing dyslexia;
- Considering whether to recommend other school personnel who should receive certification in identifying and addressing dyslexia, including school psychologists or speech-language pathologists.
Definition of Appropriate Certification
Committee Meeting Notes
- May 25, 2021 (Topics: Overview of the committee, Applying an equity lens)
- June 29, 2021 (Topics: Provisions of the Guidebook)
- July 27, 2021 (Topics: Certification processes, Multidisciplinary teams)
- August 31, 2021 (Topics: Assessment and intervention, Tier 1 and 2 screeners)
- September 28, 2021 (Topics: Guidebook draft review, Multidisciplinary teams )
- October 26, 2021 (Topics: Kindergarten standards revisions, Guidebook feedback)
- November 30, 2021 (Topics: Guidebook review, Professional learning recommendations)
- December 15, 2021 (Topics: Review and vote on Guidebook edits and reorganization)
- January 25, 2022 (Topics: Review and vote on Guidebook revisions)
- February 22, 2022 (Topics: Review and vote on Guidebook revisions; PD and certification)
- March 29, 2022 (Topics: Certification Pathways, Professional Development options, Review and vote on Guidebook revisions)
- May 31, 2022 (Topics: Review of Implementation Supports; Certification and PD Options)
Last Modified: 10/4/2022 2:32:14 PM