Grade 8 – Mathematics
Ohio Learning Standards for Mathematics
The Standards describe what students should understand and be able to do. Standards do not dictate curriculum or teaching methods.
The model curriculum provides clarity to the standards, the foundation for aligned assessments, and guidelines to assist educators in implementing the standards. It also provides instructional strategies and resources.
Ohio's Practice Test - Students may log in as a guest to access any of the practice tests. Half-length practice tests are available for each of the high school end of course exams in mathematics. Practice test items allow students to become familiar with the online test environment by showcasing the different item types, features, and functionality available to students during online testing.
Teachers can review released test items to determine the level of mathematical reasoning needed for success. This analysis can help teachers examine their local curriculum to see if their instruction is providing students enough opportunities to take their mathematical understanding to a deeper level.
Practice Test Answer Key and Scoring Guidelines - The Practice Test Answer Key and Scoring Guidelines for Grade 8 provides answer keys and scoring guides for this test. It includes the item type, the content standard and content statement assessed, an answer key (for some item types) and the number of points associated with each item. They also include the guidelines for scoring (i.e., scoring rubrics), sample responses and notes on scoring and rationales that describe why response options are correct or incorrect.
Paper Mathematics Practice Tests Answer Documents
These answer documents can be used in conjunction with the paper practice tests for students to record responses.
Scoring Guides for Released Items in Mathematics
Scoring Guides from the spring test administrations are available. These documents provide the answer keys and scoring guides for the Spring Mathematics Item Release Tests available on the Student Practice Site. They include the item type, the content strand and content statement assessed, an answer key (for some item types) and the number of points associated with each item. They also include the guidelines for scoring (i.e., scoring rubrics), sample responses and notes on scoring and rationales that describe why response options are correct or incorrect.
Depth of Knowledge (DOK) designations have been added to the item release beginning with Spring 2019. Additional information and resources on DOK are available here.
Test blueprints serve as a guide for test construction and provide an outline of the content and skills to be measured on the test. They contain information about individual tests, including the number of test items, the number of points on the test, and show how the learning standards are grouped in order to report the test results. All standards identified on the blueprint are eligible to appear on a test form and should be taught during instruction.
Performance Level Descriptors
The Performance Level Descriptors (PLDs) are the link between Ohio’s Learning Standards and performance standards. They were developed by Ohio educators and other content experts to illustrate the typical demonstration of the learning for each of the five performance levels: Limited, Basic, Proficient, Accelerated and Advanced. Teachers can review the PLDs for each course to match each descriptive statement with its course standards. Teachers can then review local curriculum materials to see if opportunities are being given to students to demonstrate deeper conceptual understanding of course content at the different performance levels.
The Ohio Department of Education has released a set of test specification documents, including descriptions of the assessment components and item types, assessment blueprints, and item specifications, to help educators and the general public better understand the design of Ohio's State Tests. These documents are used to guide the development of the Ohio's State Tests for Mathematics.
- Released Items Scoring Guidance in Mathematics - This document provides additional information and clarification on scoring the various item types on the Ohio’s State Tests in mathematics.
- Handheld Calculator Guidance - All items on the Grade 8 test permit the usage of a calculator.
- This document provides guidance on the features permitted on an approved calculator.
- This website contains more information on resources related to accommodations on state assessments.
- Grade 8 Reference Sheet - The Grade 8 reference sheet is available in English and Spanish. Incorporating the reference sheet in classroom instruction will familiarize students with where the information applies.
- Education Response Editorial Tutorial - Equation Response Editor Tutorial
- Ohio’s State Tests Practice and Ohio’s English Language Proficiency Practice Site Guidance Document - Ohio’s State Tests Practice and Ohio’s English Language Proficiency Practice Site Guidance Document
- Grades 3-8 Math Calculator – Grade 3-8 Scientific Calculator | Guidance on Desmos Calculators for Grades 3-8
- The Coherence Map shows the connections between standards over the years and within a course. Teachers can use this tool to see how their standards connect to student learning across the grades. By tracing the progression of learning to a previous standard, the tool can be used to scaffold instruction to address identified gaps.
- The Arizona Progressions are narrative documents describing the typical learning progression of a topic, informed by both research on children’s cognitive development and the logical structure of mathematics. Each document provides insight into best instructional practices toward student successful demonstration of the learning.
Analyzing Test Data
- Performance Standards - Performance Standards summarize the scale score ranges and performance standards of Ohio’s State Tests in English language arts and mathematics.
- Subscore Definitions - This chart identifies the reporting category associated with each subscore by test. By combining the subscore performance information with the associated standards in the blueprint for that reporting category, strengths and weaknesses in curriculum and instruction may be found.
- Online Reporting System User Guide - This user guide provides information on how to use the Online Reporting system to view student performance and participation data.
- Understanding State Test Score Reports - These documents has been prepared to help school and district personnel understand the score reports for Ohio’s State Tests. This document defines and explains elements of student score reports.
- Family Interpretive Guides – The interpretive guides are designed to help families understand the content of the score reports and what the results mean for their student.
Last Modified: 10/12/2022 1:16:33 PM