Plan now to attend free adolescent literacy regional meetings
Plan to attend one of several regional meetings on Adolescent Literacy: Exploring a Culture of Learning offered in early 2019. See the list of regions and dates below. The event, led by Ohio Department of Education adolescent literacy specialists, will focus on the adolescent literacy component of Ohio’s Plan to Raise Literacy Achievement. The target audience is instructional leadership teams for grades 4-12, including superintendents, curriculum directors, special education directors, building administrators, literacy coaches and teacher leaders.
Each session clarifies the definition of adolescent literacy and looks at how schools can promote higher achievement for adolescents. Presenters will offer an overview of content area literacy, disciplinary literacy and individualized intensive interventions focused on literacy. Participants will take part in planning activities for making adolescent literacy achievement a priority in their districts and buildings.
Dates are subject to change. Please check the current STARS status. All events are scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.:
- Jan. 7 – Region 6 and 11, Madison-Champaign Educational Service Center, Urbana;
- Jan. 10 – Region 3, Educational Service Center of Northeast Ohio, Independence;
- Jan. 24 – Region 12, East Central Ohio Educational Service Center, New Philadelphia;
- Jan. 29 – Region 9, RG Drage Career Technical Center, Massillon;
- Jan. 31 – Region 12, Zane State College Cambridge Campus, Cambridge;
- Feb. 15 – Region 13, Princeton Administration Center, Cincinnati;
- Feb. 19 – Region 11, Educational Service Center of Central Ohio, Columbus;
- Feb. 21 – Region 5, Mahoning County Career and Technical Center, Canfield;
- March 8 – Region 11, Fairfield County Educational Service Center, Lancaster.
Registration is available in STARS through your SAFE account
: keyword adolescent
. The event is free, but registration is required. Please email questions to Marcia Barnhart