Purple Star Designation
The Purple Star Award recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. Schools that earn the award will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display on site.
A school will be honored with the Purple Star Award if it completes all the required activities, plus one optional activity, listed below. The Purple Star Advisory Board helps decide a school’s eligibility for the award.
View a full list of all Purple Star schools.
Celebrating 5 Years of Purple Star
The application window to become a Class of 2024 Purple Star school will open on Nov. 1, 2023. Interested schools can prepare to apply for the award when the next application window opens and begin activities supporting students in military families immediately.
Access the Purple Star Application Webinar for more information.
On the application, schools are asked to share the following:
- The web address of the school's military families resource page
- Professional development activities completed by the school military family liaison
- Activities completed by your school that demonstrate the school's ongoing commitment to supporting military-connected youth and their families
- The school's process to identify and inform staff of military-connected students
- The number of military-connected students currently enrolled
- How staff connects with military-connected students
- The school's plans and strategies for continuing to support military-connected students
If you have any questions, please email PurpleStar@education.ohio.gov and include your school name in the subject line.
How to Qualify
A school will be honored with the Purple Star Award if it completes all the required
activities, plus one optional activity, listed below.
- The school must have a staff point-of-contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between them and the school.
- The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families under federal law. The liaison can complete any professional development they chose to fulfill this requirement. A variety of online learning options are available:
- The liaison identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations military families and students should receive. Visit Identification of Military-Connected Students for more information on the required and best practices related to this activity.
- The school maintains a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
- The school provides professional development for staff on special considerations for military students and families.
- The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a supportive culture. Schools are encouraged to consider hosting a military recognition event in addition to their Veteran’s Day celebrations for this activity.
- The school implements social and emotional development programs with the military child in mind. Examples of these programs include a monthly club for military-connected students, a student ambassador program that supports welcoming new students to the school and regular check-ins between the liaison and identified students.
- The school celebrates the Month of the Military Child (April) with events or programming honoring military-connected students.
See resources for military families.
Last Modified: 4/29/2023 1:53:50 PM