Educator License Fees Eliminated for Veterans and Active Duty Service Members and their Spouses

The Ohio Department of Education has eliminated fees for educator licenses to recognize the contributions of military families. The fees for any initial Ohio educator license, permit or certificate – or for a renewal – will be waived for candidates who are veterans with honorable discharges or current service members of all branches of the United States Armed Forces; the National Guard or Reserve; and the Ohio Military Reserve or Ohio Naval Militia (under the Ohio Adjutant General). Spouses of active duty service members also may receive a license free of charge.

Getting ready for the licensure application

  • Candidates will need an OH|ID account to apply for a license. Set up an OH|ID account here. Candidates who do not have an Ohio driver’s license may use their military ID or another alternative form of identification to set up their OH|ID accounts.
  • When you are completing the online license application within OH|ID, you will need to verify military service by uploading a scanned copy of a verification document. 
  • While scanning your verification, please select the PDF file type for the document(s) you will upload.  
  • If you are a veteran of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, please upload one of the following documents:
    • DD Form 214 reflecting your Character of Service (must be Honorable),
    • NGB 1 or NGB 22 reflecting your Character of Service (must be Honorable),
    • DD Form 2 (front and back), OR
    • U.S. Department of Defense Next Generation USID card (front and back) reflecting Retired status.
  • If you are a current member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard, please upload a copy of the front of your current military ID card. 
  • If you are a current member of the Ohio Military Reserve or Ohio Naval Militia, please upload a copy of your current State of Ohio Uniformed Services ID card.
  • If you are a spouse of an active duty member, please upload one of the following documents:
    • DD Form 1173 (front and back) reflecting sponsor service status of AD (Active Duty), OR
    • U.S. Department of Defense Next Generation USID card (front and back) reflecting a sponsor affiliation of Active Duty.
  • Learn more about applying for a new or renewed license here.

Licensure options of interest to military educators

The Department also is offering means of streamlining the licensure process for educators involved with the military.

  • The one-year out-of-state educator license – Incoming licensed teachers from other states – including service members, spouses of service members and veterans of the U.S. armed forces – may apply for this license at the request of their employing Ohio school or district if they meet all requirements. This license simplifies interstate mobility and employment since it allows an educator to teach for a year in Ohio while they are meeting any additional exam requirements they may need for full licensure in Ohio.
  • Military extensions to Ohio licenses – State law permits a member of the National Guard or a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States who is called to active duty and who, at the time of deployment, holds a valid educator license in Ohio, is entitled to have the license extended for a period of time commensurate with the length of active duty service, provided the educator is honorably released from that active duty service. (Ohio Revised Code 3319.284). To inquire about an extension, contact
  • Alternative routes to Ohio licensure – The Ohio Alternative Resident Educator License is an accelerated, non-traditional pathway that prepares educators for classroom teaching. This gives candidates the opportunity to become licensed in a variety of subject area and career-technical workforce development areas through the Department. Candidates must meet initial requirements to begin this pathway to licensure.
  • Temporary Military License - Beginning May 15, 2020, the Ohio Department of Education will issue temporary licenses to educators who are currently active duty service members in Ohio or spouses of active duty service members in Ohio and hold a valid (active) out-of-state license in the requested subject area, in accordance with section 4743.041 of the Ohio Revised Code. Candidates must be in good standing in the issuing state or jurisdiction of licensure or certification and may teach only the grade levels and subject area(s) listed on the Ohio temporary license.

Veterans may seek reimbursement for educator licensure tests

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers a reimbursement program for educational expenses, which can include the cost of taking the Ohio Assessments for Educators. Here is how to seek reimbursement.
  • Download the Department of Veterans Affairs Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees (VBA-22-0803-A). 
  • To complete the form, you will need the list of Ohio Assessments for Educators and related fees that are approved for reimbursement using veteran’s benefits. Access this information by following the steps below on the WEAMS Licenses/Certifications Search page:
    • Enter “OAE” into the L&C Name field.
    • Select “Both” as the LAC category type.
    • Select the State initials “MA” for Massachusetts (location of the OAE testing contractor) and click on the “Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE)” prompt under the Description column. You should see a list of licensure exams. Select the exam that you will take and the associated cost. Complete and submit the reimbursement form. 
    • For additional information about reimbursement programs, please contact your local veteran's benefits office. 

For more information

Office of Educator Licensure
(877) 644-6338


Last Modified: 7/22/2022 8:02:28 AM