Purple Star Designation
The Purple Star Award recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. Schools that earn the award will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display on site.
A school will be honored with the Purple Star Award if it completes all the required activities, plus one optional activity, listed below. The Purple Star Advisory Board, formed by the Ohio departments of Education, Higher Education, Veterans Services and the Adjutant General, helps decide a school’s eligibility for the award.
Class of 2021 (Round 9)
Purple Star in the News
The application window to become a Class of 2022 Purple Star school is now open! Applications are due by Dec. 15, 2021. No late applications will be accepted.
Click here to access the application: Purple Star New School Application
On the application, schools are asked to share the following:
- The web address of the school's military families resource page
- Professional development activities completed by the school military-connected youth liaison
- Activities completed by your school that demonstrate the school's ongoing commitment to supporting military-connected youth and their families
- The school's process to identify and inform staff of military-connected students
- The number of military-connected students currently enrolled
- How staff connects with military-connected students
- The school's plans and strategies for continuing to support military-connected students
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to provide evidence to support your application, please email PurpleStar@education.ohio.gov and include your school name in the subject line. We look forward to receiving your application on or before Dec. 15, 2021.
Purple Star schools that received their designation on or before Dec. 31, 2019 are required to renew their designation on or before Dec. 15, 2021. You can find the application for renewal schools in an email sent to your school's liaison and/or principal.
How to Qualify
A school will be honored with the Purple Star Award if it completes all the required
activities, plus one optional activity, listed below.
- The school must have a staff point-of-contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between them and the school.
- The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families under federal law. The liaison can complete any professional development they chose to fulfill this requirement. A variety of online learning options are available:
- The liaison identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations military families and students should receive.
- The school maintains a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
- The school provides professional development for staff on special considerations for military students and families.
- The local school board passes a resolution publicizing the school’s support for military children and families.
- The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a supportive culture.
- The school implements social and emotional development programs with the military child in mind.
- The school celebrates the Month of the Military Child (April) with events or programming honoring military-connected students.
See resources for military families.
Last Modified: 11/10/2021 8:51:59 AM