Ohio Transition Support Partnership
In 2015, the Ohio Department of Education and Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) launched the Ohio Transition Support Partnership (OTSP). This innovative collaboration changed the nature and impact of transition services for students with disabilities in Ohio. The Partnership increases the availability of Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) counselors for students with disabilities beginning at age 14 to improve post-school outcomes. This earlier engagement helps students with disabilities get a head start on becoming job ready and better prepared to enter the workforce with the skills and experiences necessary to be successful.
Because of this increased investment in transition, OOD is serving more students with disabilities than ever before. Now, there is funding for 43 OOD counselors who are partnering with local education agencies to serve students with disabilities throughout the state.
What is Vocational Rehabilitation? - Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services are services that supplement a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) that support students with disabilities to attain and maintain employment. Services include but are not limited to:
- Career Exploration;
- Authentic Work-Based Learning Experiences in Integrated Settings;
- Soft Skills Training to promote Workplace Readiness; and
- Job Development and Job Coaching Services.
Eligibility for Ohio Transition Support Partnership Services - Students with disabilities beginning at age 14, who meet OOD eligibility criteria and who demonstrate a need for VR services are eligible for OTSP services. OOD eligibility is based on four criteria:
- The student has a physical, cognitive and/or mental impairment;
- The impairment results in a substantial impediment to employment;
- The student can benefit from services in terms of an employment outcome; and
- The student requires VR services to prepare for, secure, retain or regain employment.
Pre-Employment Transition Services
- These are introductory services and are intended to help students with disabilities get an early start in identifying career interests. Pre-Employment Transition Services are for students with disabilities who need these services and have been determined eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services or are potentially eligible
but have not applied for VR services.
If a student already has an open case with OOD, work with the VR Counselor/VR Coordinator to request Pre-Employment Transition Services. School staff can complete a Request for Pre-Employment Transition Services form
for a student with a disability who is potentially eligible
for vocational rehabilitation (VR) services and has a need for Pre-Employment Transition Services. A student is potentially eligible
- The student is enrolled in an educational program;
- The student is at least 14 years of age but not yet 22; and
- The student is eligible for special education and related services under IDEA or is an individual with a disability for the purposes of Section 504 of the Rehab Act
Sarah Westerfield Brooks
Ohio Department of Education
Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities
Last Modified: 10/8/2021 7:59:13 AM